The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP windscreen frame
Hello,
I am replacing the glass in my RP Windscreen because it it very scratched and is impossible to see through when driving in to the setting sun.
The bolts on each end of the top of the frame required drilling out, consequently I am not sure what the thread should be. Does anyone know the size and type of thread, also the one on the end of the hinge is missing,(a 4Ba tap is a loose fit in this one)  the one the other end is broken off.
Are they available from one of the cherished suppliers?
Thank you in advance.

Roger
I don't know the answer for sure Roger but I would suggest probably something like 1/8" BSW, which is slightly larger than 4BA
Black Art Enthusiast
Roger, I have just done exactly this job and bought the correct screws from Accu I think, I’m currently “on tour” as soon as I get back I’ll post the spec, unless someone beTs me to it.
Thank you Ivor I appreciate your reply.
I am waiting for the glass so not in a rush but need to know so that I can drill out the old ones without going oversize.
Many thanks

Roger
Hi Roger, just done my windscreen - the bolts in the frame brackets are 2BA 1/4 inch. I ordered them from The BA Bolt company (website) I ordered stainless steel to prevent a future rust problem. Description is 2BA 1/4 inch stainless CSK Radius Head slotted bolts.I will check the thread on the top hinge end screws but they are non standard large head screws and I am not sure where these would be available from.
Derek
Derek,
Thank for your reply, I will order some soon.
I could most probably turn up a few for the top hinge if I knew the thread size, they must surely be something reasonably common.
I have just delivered my old screen to the glazier and should receive a quote in a few days, then it’s about three weeks wait to have it cut and finished. Just in time for Christmas ?!
I am progressing well with the nickel plating of the frame, but it is a slow process.

Roger
Looks like Derek beat me to it Roger!
Hi Roger,
Just checked the top hinge end screws, they appear to be 4BA, I have screwed a standard 4BA bolt into the ends of the hinge and screwed a standard 4BA nut onto the actual hinge end screw and they all seem to fit. The issue in obtaining replacements is that the screw head is a much larger diameter than a standard 4BA machine screw, so I'm not sure where these could be otained. Mine where still serviceable and did not need replacing.
Roger,  The BA Bolt company don't appear to have stock of the 1/4 inch 2BA stainless CSK raised head screws. They are showing 3/8 inch as their smallest size available. These would work but would need to be shortened slightly to ensure they are not protruding through on the inside of the frame.
Derek
Ivor and Derek,
Thank you both, cutting a bit off will not be a problem, turning up two bolts for the hinge will be ok now I know the thread size.

Roger