The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Dron
Just heard the news that Tony Dron (former Dolomite Sprint racer and editor of Classsic Cars magazine) died last night; he ran an RM saloon, and I believe he was a Cambridge Club member.
More sadness. I hadn't realised the connection with Dron and Herbert Austin; I had just thought he was well known and had been discovered to have had Seven links. He put together a Speedex when young - the Cambs mag pdf is available (search Dron Speedex) online but seems very slow to load so this google cache link is more accessible - an interesting report on his 50 year gap in Austin 7 ownership:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...ent=safari
Really nice chap. What a very sad loss.

Here he is (on the left) at the National A7 rally at Beaulieu in 2019.

A link to the .PDF version can be found here... http://ca7vcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2...or-web.pdf
A great loss. He managed to make it to the Cambridge Club pub night in October, but a shadow of his former self. Condolences to Clarice, family and friends.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Tony was someone one could only describe as a really nice chap. Regardless of his background (Le Mans 3 times, etc, etc) I don't think that he was ever happier than driving his saloon to the pub and having a beer when he was just Tony, Austin 7 owner. He will be much missed...
I met Tony when I was struggling to make a living as a motoring journalist and he was a lovely chap and I had not idea he was a Seven man, I didn’t want to mention with Sevens because I thought it might be below him...in so many ways...
I met him a couple of times.
Once when I judged his partly restored Austin at 750 Rally then a few years later at a Party my uncle was hosting.
A charming gentleman.
He will be missed by his many friends and family.
That is sad news - I will miss our talks which were always very interesting. He had very clear views about the old car scene which made a lot of sense. I was impressed by how he managed to fold himself into his saloon - I think he was well over 6ft!
This is very sad to hear. This past September I watched a film he narrated when he was driving a Ferrari 246 in a classic event. Fascinating film and enjoyed his thought process. I was hoping to meet him next summer. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Erich in Mukilteo