The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ulster - MV 1344
I didn't say I liked the spinners Alan, but they are a key component of the 50's build and look the constructor intended

To add another small stick to the fire, again my personal view and probably never going to happen, I would like to see the TT body repaired and returned to the TT chassis it came from.
Black Art Enthusiast
It's very rare for me to disagree with Alan or Ian on sports Austins but I will.
Ian is correct that it's not very pretty. The forward radiator and low build do not flatter. It's been well made, not by a bloke in a shed with a cold chisel and adjustable spanner. The condition (aside from rot and rust) does suggest limited use.
Tom is correct that it needs to be the car that the owner wants to own and drive, and in that subjective choice, some people will be disappointed.
The Hinchliffe car is a "narrow" works body on  a production chassis so a precedent exists in period for a hybrid.

Whatever the new owners do, I hope it wakes from a 60 year slumber and is driven as an Ulster should be.

C
The Victoria Worseley "TT" car was unsupercharged so it wouldn't be totally wrong. From research there are more TT cars, (may have used the same bodies though) than people may think.

If dad can't get in and drive it I certainly can't, (6'1" and about 12 stones.) We already have one Austin 7 I can't get into and drive, really don't want two!

Body terms at the moment it looks like the tunnel, "banjo cover bit" and some of the bulkhead survive, but it has been cut a fair bit. There seems to be very little of the flat floor where seats / feet go or in the tail

The existing body is cracking at the back currently so if we want to keep it as expensive thing for midgets or my children to drive we would need to repair that anyway.

(16-11-2021, 07:32 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: To add another small stick to the fire, again my personal view and probably never going to happen, I would like to see the TT body repaired and returned to the TT chassis it came from.

Agreed with that, the problem we have is we have no idea which chassis / car it came from!

In theory to keep everyone happy here we may need three bodies:

1. The current body but with a "new" floor.
2. The TT body we have repaired
3. An Ulster body built up using the current floor.

Would then need a selection of steering boxes etc and we could swap and change...
The only person you need to please is yourself, great find, enjoy!
(16-11-2021, 08:01 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The only person you need to please is yourself, great find, enjoy!

Exactly. Do with it what suits you best. It's in good hands with people who appreciate what it is, what it was and what it could be. Whatever happens, it'll be a great car that'll be used as it should be. Look forward to seeing what route you take.

Steve
I agree with Rory it is your car to do what works for you. However you appear to have expressed a decision dilemma, and hearing other peoples points of view can at time be constructive in the decision making progress in my experience as points get raised that you may or may not have considered.

Sounding like one decision has been made form practical considerations if nothing else, the 50's body goes on to a new home!

I am curious about the TT body, I thought, probably incorrectly by the sound of it it, that it was the remains of the body from the ex Holland Birkett car which I assumed was the original ex works body for that chassis. Most happy to be corrected and have any gaps in my knowledge filled in.
Black Art Enthusiast
You could have a “wall” of car bodies, like Frank had of gearboxes, and select the one appropriate to the event…… just sayin.
Alan Fairless
"You could have a “wall” of car bodies, like Frank had of gearboxes, and select the one appropriate to the event…… just sayin."

Now that is funny!
Black Art Enthusiast
Lots of views here, but I think we're mostly coming to the same conclusion. I thought the cockpit looked tight, and there's no point in having a car that cannot be used, so it looks like the special probably doesn't have a future in the Harris household. So either use the TT body or recreate the EA body using such parts of the floor/bulkhead that you can. I don't have strong views either way, the important part is to ensure that whatever is done is safely recorded for posterity. I don't know what state the TT body is in, but if the body panel incorporating the 175 body number is needed, that may not be correct for the body but it keeps the identity with the car...
I suppose I am the one I need to please, but there is a requirement to do the "right thing" with this car IMHO. It is an interesting "dilemma" to be in and having others opinions is appreciated. We talked about getting it going and seeing how it was to drive on the way home yesterday, depends on a lot of things being sorted first though. Not least if I can even get in it!

At the moment we are not even sure that a normal Ulster floor / tunnel etc is the right thing for a TT body. I have a feeling probably not. Whatever we do what is there now stays with the car either in one piece or as a spare body hanging on the wall / in the rafters.

The TT body we assumed was from the Birkett car due to the enlarged boot hole and a couple of other factors. We do know the tail at least is original from "works" and is narrower than a "normal" one. It's made from incredibly thin aluminium.

However someone else also claims that they have the Birkett car. Also not 100% sure on what chassis that even is. A can of worms best not opened in public.