The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ulster - MV 1344
I'm no expert, but this car must have been stripped of it's original Ulster body for some reason and it would destroy the heritage of it to try and put it back to what it was (IMHO). I don't think anyone is doubting what it has once been, and what is still is under the skin but I think it should be preserved as it is.

Just my 0.0234€ worth (at current exchange rates)
What an exciting find,and a dilemma too.
I think if it was mine I'd have to marry the TT body to the chassis especially as you have it and no suitable chassis to sit it on.It would create a largely original ulster hybrid as mentioned  similar to the Hinchcliffe car.
Nice to see the original ulster instruments plus extras still fitted.
As said the car is very low.The one I have has lowered suspension,around 1 1/2.-2" lower than standard and 15" wheels and will ground out on  a 2 3/4" speed hump,so not so practical for regular use.
The car as it stands does have removable floor pieces we took them out so they didn't fly away on the M25.

It's an intriguing situation, the idea of being able to make 3 "genuine" ulster from the one hadn't even crossed my mind, but then it's not a Bugatti...

For whatever reason I'm not convinced it was actually used that much in this state, last on the road in 1959, couldn't have been built much before early '50s. Has a lot of early 750MC about it.

Wish I had more time in the archive at LAT, if it had competed in either guise I'm sure the photos will be in there somewhere.

In terms of instruments etc it all seems to be present, lots of nice bits and pieces on the engine that could have very easily been lost as well.
(16-11-2021, 06:06 PM)austin Wrote: For whatever reason I'm not convinced it was actually used that much in this state, last on the road in 1959, couldn't have been built much before early '50s. Has a lot of early 750MC about it.

Yes, very 750 in concept but I went through every 750 MC Bulletin from the 50's and no mention of what I could identify as this car.

c
(16-11-2021, 06:27 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(16-11-2021, 06:06 PM)austin Wrote: For whatever reason I'm not convinced it was actually used that much in this state, last on the road in 1959, couldn't have been built much before early '50s. Has a lot of early 750MC about it.

............ but I went through every 750 MC Bulletin from the 50's and no mention of what I could identify as this car.

c
Impressive research, mate, but, perhaps, you need to get out more Wink

Steve
(16-11-2021, 06:27 PM)Charles P Wrote:

Yes, very 750 in concept but I went through every 750 MC Bulletin from the 50's and no mention of what I could identify as this car.

c

Bugger, I think I know someone who maybe doing something similar right now!
Have the ends of the rear crossmember already been shortened? They look like they might have been.
If they have then there isn't any other harm that fitting the TT could bring, as long as the body 175 scuttle and floorpan remains 1. don't get dissected for the purpose and 2. don't lose their link to the car for the future?
This afternoon I tried sitting in the car. I got in, just!
I don't think I could drive it though, the steering wheel is very close to my chest and the rim makes contact with my lap.
Getting out was very difficult.
I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 10 stone. I imagine that the mystery special builder was very short and slim.

I think the steering wheel is MG J type.

The crankcase was cast on 26th February 1931.

Lots of interesting views, so for what it is worth here is mine: Tempting as it may be to fit the TT body the result would be wrong on so many points, " an unsupercharged TT? " being just one of them. Keeping the car as it is just recommissioning it, well if it had evidence of competing at 750MC events in this form maybe, but I disagree that it is a beautiful body, yes a lot better than many home attempts from the 50's but even so not beautiful to my eye. That leave's the third option, restore it closer to its original form, without having seen the car I think I am leaning more this direction, I would like to know how much of the original body survives under the 50's structure. If enough is there and usable you would be restoring an original body, provided it was documented well once finished you would have a matching numbers car with reconstructed, but never the less still the original body for the car. How you dress the body from there is a personal thing I guess. Fitting touring wings etc may be tempting to some but as Austin says he has one of those, the main point from my perspective is that the chassis, engine and the floor remains stay together no matter what happens.

And yes I agree if it stays as a the builder intended the 50's spinners must remain also.
Black Art Enthusiast
Despite my earlier comment, and I still don’t like wheel spinners, but if as lt looks the car might be undriveable in its current form, I can see Ian’s point, and I think it’s fair to say there are other original ulsters with less of the original car than this has. Just pleased I don’t have to make the choice. (Well actually,no, I’d love to have to)
Alan Fairless