The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ulster - MV 1344
A couple of more small bits to try and answer. (Less than 24 hours after seeing it for the first time!!)

Looks like the steering wheel might be Blumels, the centre is odd though so maybe not be A7 fitment. The red "bit" is just a cover that looks like it will come off easily enough.

Gearbox and back axle look like they are original fitment, it is VERY low though and getting underneath it was tricky yesterday.

It won't be going back to "just" another Ulster. I already have a very nice replica one of those.

However the dilemma we do have is that we now have:

1. This car with a special body that has a fair bit of original Ulster floorpan.
2. A (partly) original Ulster TT body looking for something to go on.

The body and floorpan won't match up as the TT is narrower than a "normal" Ulster.

The obvious answer is to get another Ulster set of running gear, but after waiting nearly 20 years for this one I might be pushing it!

This all started with me looking for old pictures in the LAT Archive for the TT body, from there I have met and chatted to many knowledgable people, (and some not so!) I honestly think if I hadn't been digging out those photos I wouldn't have been in touch with the person we bought this off.
you need to find a TT chassis for that other body...!
Unless the rear cross members have already been cut down on this one, it would be a tough call to...

Is it possibly going to the Centenary?

(16-11-2021, 09:45 AM)Henry Harris Wrote: MV 1344 is B4-9680. There is a continuation log book which shows original registration date as 21st Jan (or Jun) 1932.
Bingo... MV 1345 is also 21st Jan, Maroon RN Saloon. Much earlier B4- body number, so suggests the Ulster had been sitting around.
Would be interesting to investigate that car and see if there was any possibility of a link.
Good to see it is in good hands. Someone who is unscrupulous could turn the one car into 2 or 3 so called original Ulsters and make lots of cash.
It is a dilemma but if it was mine I would want to body it with the remains of the TT car that you have.  Looking at the photos, the main floorpan is half missing.  I would look at having a new floopan made suitable for the TT car utilising the Ulster transmission tunnel and parts of the scuttle and bulkhead if possible.  The existing body could then be used on another car.  I would think a TT bodied car would be more practical for road use than the present body, nice as it may be.    I am sure that if the owner of MV 1344 had had a spare TT body lying around when the car was rebodied, it would have been fitted!
(16-11-2021, 02:46 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: It is a dilemma but if it was mine I would want to body it with the remains of the TT car that you have.  Looking at the photos, the main floorpan is half missing.  I would look at having a new floopan made suitable for the TT car utilising the Ulster transmission tunnel and parts of the scuttle and bulkhead if possible.  The existing body could then be used on another car.  I would think a TT bodied car would be more practical for road use than the present body, nice as it may be.    I am sure that if the owner of MV 1344 had had a spare TT body lying around when the car was rebodied, it would have been fitted!

I'm with you Malcolm. 
It's an interesting period oddity at the moment, of no known historical (or historic) significance besides the running gear. It effectively becomes a more modern counterpart of the car that John Hinchliffe owned (if my memory is correct) if the TT body is applied. The floorpan is far from perfect or intact as it is.

Charles
Austin, 
Very pleased to read this news. I honestly can't think of a better home for the car. 

Make the car that you will get the most use and enjoyment out of. It has sat unused for to long and needs to be appreciated. Another thing is none of us are getting any younger or more flexible and it currently looks very low.  

If it helps to differentiate, get on and supercharge your wedding car so that one is a little bit different! 

The engine is perfect for a Christmas/winter rebuild. So get it up those stairs and onto your Dad's kitchen table. 

All the best

P.S. Either way get rid of the fake spinners!
I agree about the spinners but, for once, not with Malcolm and Charles. That car is unique. It has a history of its own and that special body is part of it. As it stands now it has originality ( at least I think so) fitted with a replacement TT body it will be a recreation.
Alan Fairless
The only things we are definitely getting rid of at the moment are the spinners and the family of mice.
(16-11-2021, 03:19 PM)Alan Wrote: I agree about the spinners but, for once, not with Malcolm and Charles.  That car is unique. It has a history of its own and that special body is part of it.  As it stands now it has originality ( at least I think so) fitted with a replacement TT body it will be a recreation.

(16-11-2021, 03:44 PM)austin Wrote: The only things we are definitely getting rid of at the moment are the spinners and the family of mice.

How dare you.
The spinners are part of the 50's special's originality

C
If you kept the body on the car you could name it "The Wet Bum Special"