The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ulster - MV 1344
It would be wonderful to see it rebuilt complete with touring wings, etc, as in the 1930s photograph.
...and MV 1344 not on the Register...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Do you have the logbook? I reckon MV 1344 dates from around August 1931, which seems quite early to be one of the last Ulsters - maybe there were rather more built than we think!
Wonderful to see this important car in the best possible hands.    I wonder if the original car was rolled at some time?  All the parts that would be wrecked such as the windscreen, lamps, wings are missing from the rebuild but useful parts that could be used have been.
Does the Bluemells steering wheel with the red rim indicate that MV 1344 may have competed at Brooklands?
(16-11-2021, 09:24 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Do you have the logbook? I reckon MV 1344 dates from around August 1931, which seems quite early to be one of the last Ulsters - maybe there were rather more built than we think!

MV 1344 is B4-9680, body 175.
The newest car that I know of is B5-875, body 176.

There is a continuation log book which shows original registration date as 21st Jan (or Jun) 1932.
(16-11-2021, 09:34 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Wonderful to see this important car in the best possible hands.    I wonder if the original car was rolled at some time?  All the parts that would be wrecked such as the windscreen, lamps, wings are missing from the rebuild but useful parts that could be used have been.
Does the Bluemells steering wheel with the red rim indicate that MV 1344 may have competed at Brooklands?

I saw the car last summer and the headlamps appear to be R47s, so possibly original.
The steering wheel isn't an A7 Bluemels type as far as I could tell

c
and when I saw the words 'matching numbers 10 stud unblown Ulster' I said a very naughty word (in a well known and oft used phrase...)
(16-11-2021, 02:17 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: It would be wonderful to see it rebuilt complete with touring wings, etc, as in the 1930s photograph.

But then it would be 'just' another Ulster. From the photos, as well as being historic in its own right, that bodywork is well above the 'average' special in terms of quality of execution, and IMO aesthetics too.
That's my thinking too, Stuart. Return it to factory spec and it becomes just another not-quite-all-original car; keep it's present form and it retains its identity and history, even if it is in less-valuable form. I dilemma I am happy to leave to others  Big Grin
does it look like its still got its axle and gearbox?