The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby charging
Hello
Me yet again with issues!
Can anyone help with the way to test the cut out 6 volt CFR 2
Regards
             Tim
http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...6&cmd=show
https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...225&page=8
do either of these help?
I've got a spare solid state workaround if your cutout is actually kaput, but you can get them for 4 quid on ebay. The CFR2 in the woodie just uses the wiring terminal block and everything else is added new.
Many thank JonE.
Very useful information
Should be able to get things charging
Regards
Tim
Hello Tim,
An easy way to check the cutout is to take a small 9volt battery ie ,pp3/6f22/6lr61 etc.
If the cutout is off the car connect the 9v battery across the E tag and the D tag of the cutout.
With the cover off the cutout unit you will see the contacts close is the pull in coil is ok.
If the contacts donot close then the pull in winding is open circuit,this can happen after eighty odd years.
If ok so far then have a good look at the contacts to see they are not badly burnt.

If the cutout is still on the car, to carry out the test remove the lead connected to the D tag and proceed as above.

Hope this is of help Tim.
One of the references suggeyts cutouts differ for + or - earth  but this aint so. A seriously wrong sized ignition bulb may confuse the cutout. it is important it does not remain operated with the engine off, or the battery will flatten and the dynamo may get very hot. Contacts are silver and can be tidied with a clean very fine file (fingernail file) not abrasive paper.
Hello
Further information on the CFR2
The existing cut out showed some electrical connection on the shunt coil.
However did not pull in contacts using the pp3 test
I DO LOVE SIMPLE TESTS
So I was lucky enough to have a spare which passed the test.
Hoping to have the engine running soon to complete test infull
In 4 years the dynamo has yet to produce a single amp !
Regards
            Tim