The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touring piston oil ring "coiled wire"
One new piston oil control ring comes with little internal coiled wire which one is instructed to remove. 
I just wondered what its original purpose in a piston kit is... and why Austins don't need em?
Hi JonE,

I think wellworthy originally done them.

My understanding the rings were softer. The crimped ring was to put more tension on the ring. As if it was a harder ring.

I havent used the newer version, as I have my own pistons.

The advise to leave the crimped ring out, may be because the rings they use today are harder.

The supplier you bought from may be able to advise better.

Tony.
HI JonE
these oil ring helpers mainly used when just doing a ridge removal and hone, most of the time only rings supplied
and left out with a full rebore and hone
Hence instruction to leave out when using new pistons

Colin
NZ
ok, I will clarify, as it doesn't actually say anything about new pistons or not new pistons in the note.
I'm using old pistons which had ring gaps which were too big, so perhaps I should keep the helpers in them? I'll check for ridge and do the hone-y thing with the drill, but i can assume the bores have seen a bit of action - in a narrowboat - since last 040 rebore....
I am familiar with the wavy spacers used with 4 pieces steel oil rings and sometimes with iron rings, and the floating abutting expanders used with modern 3 piece oil rings but cannot imagine as described.
Bob - see here...     
Coiled????........corrugated would be nearer?  As Bob says.. I was imagining little coiled springs all round the inner circumference  Confused Big Grin
Not clear exactly how many sections in each ring but the abutted floating expander is the basis of most modern oil rings. Provided there is back room for, it is unlikley will ever over control oil in a Seven. The ring must be able to depress flush with the piston wall.
HI JonE,
I Can assure You they do Work,
This is a oil ring a lot of people may not have come across before Hence some skepticism.

Colin 
NZ
I remember these from the 1960s. They came in a set and were called oil control rings. Fitted to extend engine life without cost of full recondition. The bore was meant to be honed when fitting them. They worked very well.