The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby steering arm
Just looking at the infamous arm .
How can you tell if the new replacement has been fitted.
Also looks like Austin replacement parts are out of stock.
Regards
            Tim
The new replacement arms that David produced have a better radius. Check out the below location for a picture of one. 

https://www.a7c.co.uk/steering-arms.php
I have never met Mr Cochrane in my life, and certainly never handed over brown envelopes in exchange for huge boxes of vital components in pub car parks. However. I am one of that number of Seven stranglers whose first action on acquiring one of the little darlings is to replace the steering arm with one of David’s. That reduces the list of things to worry about. “ You know it makes sense.”
Before Bob gets all excited I have to say I think the steering arm “thing” is a little exaggerated. However, at the price they are why wouldn’t you have one? One in a million chances come off nine times out of ten, as someone once said.
Alan Fairless
Hi All

I made a small modification to a Big Seven arm for my special  Big Grin.  However the geometry of this arm means you should extend the drag link.  I extended mine for this reason and the fact I have a very small wedge under the steering box.

On my RK I had the original arm crack tested at a local engineering firm. £10 cash in the tea and coffee fund I seem to remember.

Cheers

Howard
Original on the left, replacement on the right. If you look closely at the original you can just detect a small crack on the inner radius... the arms ARE the same length, it's just the photo.

[Image: IMG-20190802-WA0000-LI.jpg]
Many thanks are reckless
Just what I needed
Would anyone put back a steering arm with a crack like that? When checked, mine had similar cracks 20 yrs ago - I kept it to show others - and bought a new one, grateful that the design had been improved and that they were readily available.
Without having to resort to dye penetrant crack detection or any other non-destructive testing, a crack can usually be seen by the naked eye after removing the paint and cleaning the area with emery paper:

[Image: 20211107-150835.jpg]
The important thing is that the arms eventually crack - they don't suddenly snap. So, if cleaned, polished, examined and then coated in a grease or similar - as the previous owner of my Chummy did - it's easy to check every so often. Hence, if you haven't done this on your Seven yet, you ought to. As most of us now do only relatively few miles a year - no longer the 20,000 miles of decades ago - this would seem to be sufficient.