The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lights - then and now.
Has anyone experience of fitting 6-volt LED headlamp bulbs to the original reflectors of an early Ruby? The original bulbs might be described as having a "3-bayonet flange".
At least we don't have to cope with this, fun though it might have been:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have some 3 bayonet flange H/L bulbs in 6v, Tony. They were made by Marchal. I did try to get LED replacements but they weren't available. I've since replaced rims, lenses and reflectors c/o Stuart Joseph.
I couldn't get the LED bulbs needed for my bulb holders, so found two incandescent bulbs of the type needed on ebay and ripped the insides out. I then soldered short wires to the contacts of a pair of LED bulbs, drilled the solder in the emptied cap (from the inside out) and soldered the other ends of the wires through the holes. Setting the distance of the emitters to be level with the filaments in the original bulb, I then wedged the LED bulb into the cap with copper and filled the gap with hot melt glue. They work perfectly.
(06-11-2021, 06:09 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I couldn't get the LED bulbs needed for my bulb holders, so found two incandescent bulbs of the type needed on ebay and ripped the insides out. I then soldered short wires to the contacts of a pair of LED bulbs, drilled the solder in the emptied cap (from the inside out) and soldered the other ends of the wires through the holes. Setting the distance of the emitters to be level with the filaments in the original bulb, I then wedged the LED bulb into the cap with copper and filled the gap with hot melt glue. They work perfectly.

Thank you, Nick, that sounds like a reasonable solution.
(06-11-2021, 10:02 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 06:09 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I couldn't get the LED bulbs needed for my bulb holders...

Thank you, Nick, that sounds like a reasonable solution.

Probably stating the obvious to you, but the polarity of the LED bulb must be correct for your car
Tony, still don’t understand what you describe as a 3 pin flange. Original bulbs were Ba15 parallel pin single filament.
Here's a picture of what's fitted - but I don't know if this is an ex-factory fitting or some modification.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's an APF (American Pre-Focus)  bulb and certainly not an original fitment.
 I first came across these when they were sold by Dave Phillips of the The Seven Workshop in their excellent replacement reflectors.
I have bought 6v LED APF bulbs from Peter at Classic Regulator and Dynamo Conversions of Lincoln, one of the cherished suppliers.
(08-11-2021, 02:51 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: That's an APF (American Pre-Focus)  bulb and certainly not an original fitment.
 I first came across these when they were sold by Dave Phillips of the The Seven Workshop in their excellent replacement reflectors.
I have bought 6v LED APF bulbs from Peter at Classic Regulator and Dynamo Conversions of Lincoln, one of the cherished suppliers.

Thank you, Stuart - wonderful information. I'll get on with sourcing the correct bulbs.
Back to the originl picture.

"No officer. I did not see him. He must have been hidden behind my headlamp"
Whatever is coming th other way presumably has an arc lamp.
I used to travel 60 miles to my parents home most wekends. There was a gently curved part of the main road with an extensive  flat unsealed adjacent area. it was very difficult to find the edge. Straying into metal at 45-50 in an RP is not recommended.

If any car had a fitting like that today it would promptly be stolen.