The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books about timber frame building
Timber frames for cars specifically, not an Austin 7 though. My Austin 7 was aluminium skin on steel tube frame (still going through the process to get it on the road) but my next car, a Riley 9, is an ash frame with metal skin. The metalwork doesn't worry me (well, much...) but I am not a woodworker so the timber frame for it will be a completely new experience. One I want to have though.

You can get lots of books on metal working, English wheeling, building bucks, hammer forming, welding, coach-building history etc, etc but I haven't yet found anything on the ins and outs of actually making a wooden framed car. Does anything even exist? 

Resources on web sites and YouTube are limited. There are a few small examples (quite good ones too) about but not very many. What I am looking for is something that gives all the obvious tips that aren't obvious if you've never done it before. What glues to use, what screws, what timbers work, which direction the timber grains should run, how and where to make simple joins, how best to shape the timber, useful tools to have and so on. 

I know these are skills that take years to master of course but there must be somewhere to start? I guess a lot is just general carpentry (any book recommendations there are welcome too!) but car specifics must come into it to at some point.

Simon

Messages In This Thread
Books about timber frame building - by jansens - 03-11-2021, 10:28 AM
RE: Books about timber frame building - by Tiger - 03-11-2021, 12:04 PM
RE: Books about timber frame building - by JonE - 03-11-2021, 05:36 PM
RE: Books about timber frame building - by JonE - 03-11-2021, 07:06 PM
RE: Books about timber frame building - by Ilmoro - 04-11-2021, 10:36 AM
RE: Books about timber frame building - by jpsmit - 06-11-2021, 02:05 AM