The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hour glass steering box wheel/inner column nut
I have a nut for steering wheel to inner column and a washer to go between nut and wheel.  Should there be a washer between wheel and inner column 1A615/6122 for the steering wheel to sit against?  Spares lists do not show either washer.  Attached photo shows spline marks on inner column which may be from steering wheel? or maybe they were from when the splines were cut in the column top?

The grove towards the right hand is from the felt support washer that is an interference fit down in the outer column......this shows the importance of keeping a good condition felt bush at the top to minimise lateral movement and its consequential wear.  A spare bush I have (old used one) has very little wear as it is about the right thickness and has been soaked in oil/molyslip for several days.  It seems to be more like leather than felt.....just wonder if at some time leather ones were actually sold as replacements

This is the felt/(leather) bush support washer 2K6787 (BM134). new one on left and much worn one on right.

The tool for pushing washer down into outer column.  Bicycle front forks headstock (with front forks cut off and used as wing stays.)

Just for fun..how many hammers in the first picture?  (I expect some expert will also name the bicycle the headstock came from  Big Grin )

Dennis
In a home workshop seem to forever have needs for tubing of various thickness. Even with a lathe, short lengths tedious to make. Old style bike frames, seat tubes etc  a handy source, as also many household items (mower handles, folding chairs etc)
Tubing, pipes, can be sharpend to cut discs from leather.
Bicycles are or were made for extensive use and I have encountered old ones which must have done tens of thousands of miles. Components the same on the ones discarded after token use. The perfect hub bearings etc are just scrap which seems very wasteful.