The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather seats - what was the original finish?
The leather seats in my '37 Ruby De Luxe are orginal and far from perfect which is fine. At some point I believe they were 'painted' and the leather is anything but supple. It leads me to wonder what the original finish was (gloss, satin or matt for want of better terms) and what to treat the seats with to get as near an original look/feel as possible? Modern re-trims seem to use matt sometimes satin finished leather whereas on prewar vehicles that I have seen that apparently have original leather seats they are very glossy. Any thoughts gratefully received.
Leather seats in RPs and Rubies were definitely 'glossy', especially after a few decades of use!

Not a very good photo, but you can just make out the driver's seat here:

I agree with Mike, definitely on the glossy side. I also notice that the paintwork was a lot less glossy than modern paint!

A photo cribbed from ebay some time ago which I assume to be original trim...

.jpg   Box 1.jpg (Size: 85.92 KB / Downloads: 448)

...and a favourite photo of my brother:

A fact which seems not widely appreciated is that a great proportion of modern automotive upholstery leather is in effect plastic coated thus expensive potions have little effect on it and it will never age in quite the same way as the original stuff.
I dont know how leather is/was finished originally but paint for leather was widely available. The railways seemd to regularly treat the train seats (at least in 2nd class !) I used some on Jowett seats. Unfortunately it rendered adjacent  imitation leather panels permanently tacky but the buyer did not notice.
I can remember using shoe cream of suitable colour to stain the scuffs and cracks on old leather, afterwards polishing with plain wax to prevent the colour coming off. It was all done with soft brushes.
(27-10-2021, 11:36 AM)Robert Leigh Wrote: I can remember using shoe cream of suitable colour to stain the scuffs and cracks on old leather, afterwards polishing with plain wax to prevent the colour coming off. It was all done with soft brushes.

I have satisfactorily used beeswax furniture polish which I coloured by mixing with melted wax crayon.
The rear seat squab was redone some time in the late 60s in vinyl. It too was painted and is sticky just as you describe.
AS Chris KC says above, modern producers of leather seem to go to great lengths to make leather look like plastic. The modern matt leathers are entirely inappropriate for any vintage car, of classic car for that matter. It's now very difficult to find leather with a nice 'sheen' to it. Sheen is perhaps the best word to use to describe leathers of old. They get polished to gloss by years of use as can be seen in the various posts above. Nice leathercloth is available from Ratchford's, suitable for the door and interior trim panels..
I've deleted the post, Hugh; rest easy, everyone!