The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magnetos
The utterly reliable Ribblesdale lads have had to say goodbye to their magneto expert, who seems to have decided on a new career. Thus they no longer offer any services. Who knows of a good source for magneto rewinding? I know of two places who will only do magnetos for motorbikes or Morgans, refusing to do 4 cyl magnetos. A well know ERA driver advertises magneto work, but for many years has subcontracted that to a workshop in the New Forest whose current delivery time is very distant indeed. Any suggestions?
I always used Tony Holder down in Hastings but the last mag he did for me was almost a decade ago (a testament in its own right), and my assumption is that he's retired.
However, these chaps were trained by him, and whilst I haven't used them, they clearly learnt at the feet of a master
https://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/about

Charles

Edit. I've just fully read the link and seen that Tony Holder died last year. A lovely chap who really knew his stuff.
I've not got personal experience, but have heard good reports about Vintage Magnetos at Bicester Heritage.
Mike

I have no personal experience, but have heard the opposite, which is why for myself and other Chummy stranglers I asked this question!

Charles

Thanks for the suggestion which will be followed up.
I had a chap in France who was excellent, but he has taken Covid as an opportunity in effect to retire. But when we exchanged emails a few months ago, he recommended Armoto - http://www.vehicle-electrical-rewinds.co.uk/ - though I have no personal experience of them..
My single experience of Armoto was excellent.

Steve
+1 for the magneto guys, had 5 done by them and 1 by tony holder some time ago.
armoto did a really good job on one of mine. Only thing I would say is take it well before you want it - his waiting times are long. That alone is a good sign in my book.
Alan Fairless
I have had a mag (non-A7) fully rebuilt by Adrian Gorvin in Devon. I was very pleased with his work which included a rewind.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box