The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Spring Cambers and Leaves
I thought this had been discussed a great deal on here in the past, but despite 20mins of searching, I am unable to find anything of use for a question I have.

When my daugher inherited the RP saloon off my father some years ago, the rear end was very low, and travelling 3 up was impossible. so very soon after I bought a pair of Ian Dunfords 'Box Saloon' springs and fitted them. These were very nice items, and transformed the ride. An excellent investment.

Some years earlier my RL saloon suffered the same issue. This was fitted with brand new 'SWB' springs when I restored it 20odd years ago (my memory doesnt help as to where they came from). My fix for that at the time of child appearing was to fit Nobbys. now, having been subject to some considerable abuse over the years, the Nobbys finally popped the seams on the floor a year or so ago, and I am currently fixing this, and have removed the Nobbys. So this car is due for some new rear springs. My thoughts were, based on availability to fit a set of Ians 'Box saloon' springs. despite it being short wheelbase.  

Any comments?

The chummy I bought earlier this year sits awfull low when there are 3 of us in it. Now 2 of us are probably a little porky, but the three of us ride in the RP box saloon with no issues (or at least we do since the above). The car seems to have been restored before I was born, so i guess its overdue some new springs, and this is really the issue.

Amongst the spares I inherited are these springs.

[Image: 244780982_10224326831212953_682305218165...e=618C9952]

[Image: 245439947_10224326832172977_151759780624...e=618EE02B]

Father must have powder coated them, but never used them. They appear brand new. 

when I bought the box saloon springs off Ian I compared them. The main difference was 1 leaf less. The camber was the same. Ians springs are the lower pair. 

[Image: 245816335_10224326832732991_662521856411...e=618C624B]

Is there any reference material with respect to leaf number, vs what is a appropriate for various models. Other that what people have found empirically?. 

My gut feeling is that these are probably a little soft for the RL. but might be just the job on the chummy?

Any comments?.

More info. When father did the chassis for the AE chummy I recently sold, my pictures show this had 7 leaf springs. That sat well, if a tad high. but I had 5 in it once! 

The generally original 1928 chassis here, ex GE Cup, certainly has 6 leaf rear springs.

I am in the process of a major upheaval in garaging terms (hence coming across these springs again), the chummy is temporarily packed so tight in a shed, I cannot crawl underneath it to count leaves.
Hedd, have you looked in the Austin Seven Companion page no 80. Spring dimensions are listed. Hope this will help.
I've just fitted a pair of Ian's "Box" rear springs to my RP and I too am very pleased with them. 
Stop me if I'm being dense, but are SWB and LWB springs different? I can't think why. (Though no doubt Ian could tell you).

You can have sound older springs re-set and re-tempered if ride height is the only issue. 
You have to allow a couple of inches of extra camber as they settle quickly.
But given the cost and faffing about Ian's spanking new ones still look rather tempting.

Are those mystery springs "soft rides"? Doesn't sound like the right way to go if you load your cars up.
You could I suppose have them apart and insert another leaf?

As for Nobbies I'm not at all keen on putting suspension loads into the floor. In fact I barely have a floor!

Sorry, not sure if any of that is helpful Hedd...
Pardon my higgerance, what are Nobbies?
(14-10-2021, 12:40 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: Hedd, have you looked in the Austin Seven Companion page no 80. Spring dimensions are listed. Hope this will help.

A number of the comments on this forum I have read suggest the info in there regarding springs is at best 'suspect'.....
(14-10-2021, 01:06 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Pardon my higgerance, what are Nobbies?

‘Nobbies’ we’re a proprietary assistance spring set that used coil springs between the rear axle and the floor to stiffen the suspension when carrying rear passengers that (presumably) caused one to exceed the 40 stone passenger limit.
[Image: The%20Nobbyg%20Grey.jpg]
(14-10-2021, 12:40 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: Hedd, have you looked in the Austin Seven Companion page no 80. Spring dimensions are listed. Hope this will help.

These are all massively wrong and Companion never updates the information despite having been informed... perhaps annotate your copies if Bill or Ian can confirm this is the case?
I aways use new springs from Ian Dunford. Having messed about with springs in years past.
Now, simply believe that old ones are not worth messing about with.
Having the correct ride height makes such a difference to the look and handling of the car.
No wear on the leaves improves the ride no end.
I also am a big believer in spring gators - keeps them clean and lubricated.
these are not 'old' springs Nick. 

Whilst probably being possibly up to 10 years old, these are brand new and unused. They've never even had a grease nipple screwed into them. 

I just dont know where they came from, and what model they are actually for.