The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edwardian photo +
Perhaps I've been unobservant but today is the first time I noticed the advert on the rear page of the Observer. An Edwardian scene with a modern bus transplanted into it. The shape of the radiator on the three-wheeler in front caught my eye and though obviously not an Austin it looked a bit BSA. However it's not a FWD model and though the wings are similar the scuttle mounted headlights and off-side mount for the spare wheel is not as expected this is a strange three-wheeler. Are any of the number-plate boffins and  historians able to identify the car? Is that number PC 374 ?Could the pic be enhanced by our friendly photoshop master?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would suggest the image dates from the early 1920s; my first thoughts were that the three-wheeler was a Castle Three (circa 1920-21), which has a similar radiator, but the opening was a distinctive castle shape, so it's not!

Edit: The PC registration letters were issued from July 1921 (Surrey County Council) which seems reasonable for this car.
Yes, Castle Three crossed my mind too but the almost flat top of the rad (without the castle shape) and bonnet rule it out unless it's a "Bitsa". The running board/step visible is a clue but to what I don't know
It does appear to be PC, a Surrey registration. Apparently the PC registration record cards from 1921 to 1945 are held by The Kithead Trust in Droitwich Spa.

A Coventry Premier perhaps ?

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Coventry_Premier

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/coventrypremier.htm

.png   Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 11.32.59.png (Size: 933.75 KB / Downloads: 211)
Hello Duncan,
Various "sharpening" techniques appear to confirm 374, but it might be that the letters are "PC". Unfortunately, the image looks to have been deliberately blurred in Photoshop before the modern bus was dropped in, making it very difficult to exact anything significant. With very dark or bright pictures getting hidden details out is relatively simple - but blurring is tough.

The Coventry Premier looks like a good call to me: it has the same short front wing, running boards, high-mounted spare wheel, wire wheels, similar shape to the radiator and front axle, headlamp position ... Yup, looks good to me:

.jpg   1921 Coventry Premier.jpg (Size: 147.73 KB / Downloads: 174)
The starting handle caught my attention... on the first picture is unusual in that it appears not to suffer from the droop familiar to Austin 7 owners (I'm told... no such problems here..!)
I think the Coventry Premier has my vote! The crank appears to go in below the rad shell as per the pic from Jeff Taylor? Many thanks to all.