The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
electric versus combustion cars
The law of conservation of energy comes into any calculations regarding the manufacture of electricity, from whatever source. It never comes for free. The hydrogen gas is manufactured by the process of the electrolysis of water. In order to split water into its two component elements (water and oxygen) a HUGE amount of electricty is needed. Where does that come from? Then, having created a stock of hydrogen you need an infrastructure to store, distribute and dispense it, plus the recipient vehicles have to be capable of storing liquid hydrogen under vast pressure.

The hydrogen atom is the smallest element in the universe and it is not easily contained. Normal steel or aluminium or plastic vessels are incapable of preventing hydrogen loss by osmosis, and as hydrogen is explosive when mixed with air the safety issues are immense.

The use of hydrogen as a fuel, reverses the process by recombining the hydrogen with oxygen in a fuel cell, which results in electricity plus water. I am very sceptical about the overall "greenness" of a hydrogen vehicle given what is necessary to produce the fuel, store it and then use it in a transport situation. I shudder to think of the consequences of some numpty not connecting up properly at a distribution station and the resulting devastation from an event akin to the Hindenburg airship disaster happening at your local Tesco.

I'll stick to diesel or unleaded, thanks.
If you want to know about the (im)practicalities of hydrogen as an i/c fuel watch this video. Rather breathless delivery but the guy knows what he's talking about.

https://youtu.be/3IPR50-soNA
Watched the video. Very informative. Its not as simple as it may seem at first.
Rekkers,

Couldn't agree more. The problem is that current politicians are all arts and humanities graduates, not an engineer among them.

If you want to see the destructive power of Hydrogen, google "Hindenburg disaster" The video on YouTube is also illuminating, I used to show it to students as an illustration of the problems with having Hydrogen about the place.
I wonder if our current crop of politicians would be able to brew themselves a cup of tea.
(12-10-2021, 02:31 AM)circeonya@hotmail.com Wrote: My limited understanding of hydrogen tells me that there is considerable greenhouse gas involved in the production.  If so what is the point?  I have owned a few cars that ran on LPG some dedicated, some dual fuel - saved heaps of money on fuel and the engines seemed to last forever.  Now it seems some methods of hydrogen production use gas,  if that is the case another whole step is involved, so again what is the point?

The point of using hydrogen is quick fuelling, no batteries, and the source of the energy is electricity (electrolysis of water). The advantage of electricity is that it can come from nuclear, wind, sun, or from oil, coal etc.
I feel increasingly convinced the technological effort is driven by the aim of disempowering the oil-producing nations and has naff all to do with the environment.
As we are Old Car Nuts should we go back to having large gas bags on top of our cars or on trailers
I understand Methane can be used as a fuel. Collectable from any urban sewer.
I knew a student that used to set light to his bottom burps. ( Through His Jeans )
Our "environomentalists" reckon it is time to ditch the IC lawn mower and leaf blower. My point is the journo on national TV who reported it, parroted off the claim that one hour with a leaf blower would create more CO2 than a car driven from Melbourne to Brisbane a distance of over 1,700KM. My experience with journos is much like the politicians they too would be encapable of brewing a cup of tea.
Journalists unable to make a cup of tea. Well...........

That is why they drink so much beer.
Peter