The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
22FZB carb again
Most of the 22FZB's that I have seen have what appears to be a home made shield fitted near the slow running device as shown on the photo below.
Does anyone know what it is supposed to do please?
Thanks Alan

.jpg   InkedChummy carb_LI.jpg (Size: 965.55 KB / Downloads: 321)
Not home-made, this was a standard feature; I'll leave others more technically minded to suggest its purpose!
Stops large bits going in the auxiliary air intake - Nicholson refers to the slow running arrangement as an auxiliary carburettor, he probably near the truth.
But there's nothing to stop even larger bits going into the main air intake  Big Grin
True enough!
Thanks both for your replies.

We have 2 A7's fitted with this carb. One has a shield and the other doesn't and has not had in 8 years of ownership. Its idle speed has always been too high and I'm wondering if the open, threaded hole for attaching this shield may be the source of an air leak. I have now made a shield and fitted it. Weather has delayed road testing, but we'll give it a go today.

Alan
I notice you have an extension on the "pin" ....I always found it a fiddle to lift it, so what a good idea...does the extra weight affect the needle valve?
Whilst I've seen those shields on 22FZ carburettors I've never seen them on 22FZB carburettors which don't have a mounting screw hole.    
is that an EGR valve Dave?
David,

This was the arrangement on our AD when we acquired it. It is certainly easier to fill the float chamber for cold starting than our Box, that does not have this feature.

There will be slightly higher mass as you say, so maybe the fuel level in the carb is slightly different too.

Alan

Dave,

Please accept my apologies if I have used the incorrect designation. The carb is bronze, so should I have called the thread “22 FZ again” ?

Do you know what the shield is for?

Cheers Alan