The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEERING QUSTION.
Hi All, May I ask a question. I recently had my steering column off, leaving the box in situ. It has all gone back in ok with a small amount of play. The question is should I be able to turn the wheels from left to right once jacked off the ground by grabbing both tyres. It appears mine doesn't, although all works ok from the steering wheel end, smooth action.
Any thoughts? The only change was removing the old grease and replacing it with new.
Regards RPM
Hi RPM

I can’t with either of my cars although on axle stands the wheels turn smoothly without effort when turning the steering wheel.

Cheers

Howard
Mine will move one way but not back again, something which was almost always questioned when it went for MOT. Iv'e often wondered how A-frame towing devices work if this is the case.
Do they turn by hand if you give them a slight start with the steering wheel?
(05-10-2021, 08:14 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Mine will move one way but not back again, something which was almost always questioned when it went for MOT. Iv'e often wondered how A-frame towing devices work if this is the case.

Hi All

I’ve only tested my Special with an A frame for a short run but was amazed at how well it worked. I did disconnect the drag link however. 

Cheers

Howard
Although worm and wheel steering boxes shouldn’t, at least in theory, be reversible, On my RP, I can move the wheels easily from lock to lock by grasping the one front wheel with the front end jacked free of the floor.
Hi Guys, Im quite relieved actually that others experience the same, another job I can dismiss within the parameters of normal.
Chris KC. I will test your idea tomorrow. Maybe on putting the column back it's tightened down just that little bit more than originally, now outside the ware thats built up over many years.
RPM.
My cars live in tight quarters where I cannot open the doors.

To get them in I aim them, get out then push them in, steering by pushing one front wheel or another to steer. Thats with the wheels on the ground.

It works on all 3, even the recently purchased chummy.
Our cars suffered the same problem until I rebuilt the steering boxes during which all the grease was removed and replaced with Castrol D140 & molyslip after which I can steer them by moving a wheel. This is necessary as like Hedd I don't have enough room to drive them in and be able to get out. I dislike grease as once it is squished out of the worm lower thrust face the grease can't flow back in .
Hi, Hedd and Dave , It's obvious now that you should be able to move the wheels by grabbing the tyres and by gentle movement . I can only think that mine was disturbed and the ware on both gears have not come back into their alignment so a little binding, although smooth at the steering wheel. It was a tough job removing the column in situ, gentle heat on the thread was the game that melted the congealed grease around the thread.

Happy Motoring.
RPM