The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - October 2021
Photo 

.jpg   1936 Bern GP - Walter Baumer twin cam.jpg (Size: 123.92 KB / Downloads: 473)

Walter Baumer competing in the Third Prix de Berne at Bremgarten on the 23rd August 1936. Canning Brown has him driving a side-valve single-seater, but this looks like a twin-cam to me. Baumer was the only starter in the 800cc Class, and finished sixth overall.
An anorak writes; as well as Wyatt, the other references I can find on my shelves are  in Mike Hawkes and David Venables.  Mike Hawkes  mentions the Eifelrennen race round the Nürburgring on 14th June 1936 attributing 5th overall to Baumer, who took the first of the two places for the 750cc class. Venables says that Baumer had to yield  fourth place to Lehoux, confirming fifth overall.  This was the last event to have a cyclecar class of 750cc, it is interesting that a class for 800cc cars is mentioned at Bremgarten. Baumer certainly proved pretty fast at Berne, finishing just one lap down from Dick Seaman's winning "Delage", who managed to beat the ERAs yet again.
There are several more photos of Walter Baumer in the Friends' Gallery section of this website - check out both Racing cars 1922-39 and Personalities sections. Here is Baumer in the side-valve single-seater at the 10th Eifelrennen meeting in 1936 mentioned by Steve:

.jpg   Walter Baulmer side valve.jpg (Size: 183.6 KB / Downloads: 289)
Mike, thanks for letting me know that I’m managed to miss a vital resource! Have you decided that Forum duties are so important that venturing out to watch underwater trialling has to be put aside?
(02-10-2021, 10:34 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Mike, thanks for letting me know that I’m managed to miss a vital resource! Have you decided that Forum duties are so important that venturing out to watch underwater trialling has to be put aside?

Indeed I have; it's already chucking it down here, and the forecast shows it even heavier in the Peak District.
(02-10-2021, 10:09 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: There are several more photos of Walter Baumer in the Friends' Gallery section of this website - check out both Racing cars 1922-39 and Personalities sections. Here is Baumer in the side-valve single-seater at the 10th Eifelrennen meeting in 1936 mentioned by Steve:

Not a side valve. It's a twin cam OHV.
Indeed, my mistake; my excuse was I had just been looking at this photo submitted by Robin Boyce of Baumer at the 1935 Shelsley Walsh meeting  Angry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This Seven  on the start line at Shelsley last week was not a twin cam.
"Walter Baumer competing in the Third Prix de Berne at Bremgarten on the 23rd August 1936. Canning Brown has him driving a side-valve single-seater, but this looks like a twin-cam to me. Baumer was the only starter in the 800cc Class, and finished sixth overall."

So Canning Brown's report is wrong !
Canning Brown, like all others, can not be relied on to be completely correct.