The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2 bearing big end bearings/shells
My mk1 Ruby 1934 crank is probably in need of a re-grind and con rods re- metalled.
Is there any point in modifying the con rods to accept later “off the shelf” shells?
Or is that a stupid idea…..
I wouldn't say "stupid" but the benefit is, I think, questionable.
The shells for the 3-bearing crank are narrower as are the big ends and journals; also they are drilled for the oil holes  in the later rods. Also I do not know whether the big ends in the early rods are machined to the same diameter as the later ones. I think there are many pitfalls which may be better avoided.
Thanks for the advice, I will stick the original design.
So, where do I get a crank reground and bearings re-metalled?
It all sounds very expensive!
I think it highly unlikely the 'bare' rod without white metal is the correct diameter to clamp the shells properly; if bigger it would be very hard to arrange; if smaller they could be machined to size, but it's a precision job and would start to cost money.
First have to find 4 rods good enough to warrant the expense. A problem is that the OD of rthe shells axceeds the bolt spacing so the curious scalloped bolts as the later engines or somesuch has to be adopted. Would require very acurate centring. The caps at have to be extended wider with bronze typically.
Assuming the crank is not cracked, not hopelssly oval or scored or rust pitted, and the white metal not failing with cracks, much often used to be routinely accomplished with nothing more than  patience and common sense skill.
also now, you might as well at least start to compare costs for a Phoenix crank/rods versus machining/white metalling costs on original?
Last time I had crank pins reground it was £44 for the set, so no biggy. But I'm afraid I'm in Bedfordshire so you'd be better off looking for a reliable recon shop locally - try your local A7 club for leads.

I'll leave others to suggest for re-metalling the rods.
John Kirby in Croydon would be my go to for such work...
As mentioned in an earlier post on block skimming, the company below would give you an idea of the costs involved. They're clearly a very 'High End' engineering company, so there may be slightly cheaper alternatives around.

https://www.facebook.com/Cotterellengineeringltd

Although I've no experience of using John Kirkby, I believe he's well regarded.

John Kirkby in Croydon - Tel: 020 8688 2127

There's a number of others listed here:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/restorat...alling.htm

** EDIT** I didn't see Hugh's post before replying. He confirms John Kirkby's very good reputation - I'd give him a call for a quotation.