The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wing Tanks ,a shameless promotion
I have found that garages/filling stations only allow the filling of green plastic cans for petrol. I know the other metal cans are safe and suitable but the filling stations state they are no covered by the regulations. I myself are no familiar with the regs.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Eagle eyed cashiers eh? I imagine they’ll let that slip after the supplies are replenished.
Does the regained control overrule the E mark? Do we have to replace all our Emarked equipment now? What fun, we’ll need 5000 EU workers to deal with the changeover!
Well it could do Duncan. In a case where we dreamed up a different local requirement a UKCA mark would prevail. Of course for anyone hoping to sell their product in the EU it wouldn't really count for much.
I've occasionally had problems refilling my old fashioned, 2 gallon metal cans. I usually keep them out of the sight of the staff. I have a fleet of lawnmowers and lawn tractors, I would be forever at the garage if I could only use 5 litre containers.
Is that the Tesco garage in Llandod? Must be the only petrol station in the Marches to pay any attention to what is being filled. Imagine Caersws or Locks Garage telling off the farmers, as for Presteigne refusing to allow period cans on running boards to be filled! Next someone will report concerns about scuttle tanks.
The rule about petrol cans is safety. The only way to have this is to Mark cans that pass the regulations laid out and this is why we have a mark. The fact that your old metal or other material can that does not have the mark makes it illegal not only to use but also for the seller. Myself I don’t think is clever to abuse this rule after all a proper marked safe can is not expensive. Come on we all spend money on our cars why not a legal petrol can.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John, I understand your comment but marking, whilst a good idea for modern kit, has huge implications for period items. What should Duncan do with his GE replica cans? Can location equipment on our wings or running boards will not hold modern green plastic containers. As for scuttle tanks….
Any rally scrutes reading this to give us their views on plastic cans attached to the side of a car?
If anyone can tell me how to safely fill a scuttle fuel tank whilst watching the LED display on the pump with the sun shining on it I'd be interested to know.  When filling a plastic can (a red one!) I stand close to the pump with the can against my left knee.  Why do other garage users insist on trying to engage you in conversation (usually whether it will run on unleaded petrol) when you are filling a scuttle tank, mindful that if it overflows it will cascade onto the hot exhaust manifold?
(27-09-2021, 11:52 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: If anyone can tell me how to safely fill a scuttle fuel tank whilst watching the LED display on the pump with the sun shining on it I'd be interested to know.  

I bought some polaroid prescription sunglasses and found that I couldn't read any petrol station pump displays unless I tilted my head 90 degrees. That would make it even harder!

c
Same challenges having to totally ignore anyone trying to engage in conversation whilst filling a Ruby tank. This requires eagerly observing the fuel gauge as the tank fills up, to stop filling before the level reaches the breather and starts syphoning out on to the forecourt. Why am I at my keyboard and answering the phone but not in the workshop? Preparing tomorrow's Eight Hills Tour. So far road closures reported near Tenbury Wells and Cleobury Mortimer, the club with whom Shelsley was to be shared having cried off due to no fuel, but only two participants sending apologies so far.