The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bore wear, engine wear.
We hear that most wear in the bores takes place when the engine is cold, or not up to full running temperature. So, what is best to do over the winter if we don't use the seven so much?

Ten minutes running each fortnight means the engine is wearing out all the time, as it never gets hot. But 30 minutes running each fortnight must cause just as much wear, plus a bit.

Is 30 minutes running once a month better?

Logically 30 minutes running at two month intervals is even less wear?
I would suggest don't start it unless you plan to drive it somewhere.
Hi Andrew

I agree with Chris.  If you worry too much about engine wear you would probably never use your car. 

In any case the majority of Seven owners will never wear an engine out in the time they own the car. (Yes I know there are exceptions I said the majority)

Cheers

Howard
If you insist on not using a car in winter then turn the engine over every couple of weeks (on starter or by hand) with the plugs out to keep everything moving. A bit of oil down the plug hole and do it again. Replace the plugs.

By far the best strategy is just to keep driving it regularly.

C
(22-09-2021, 09:38 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I would suggest don't start it unless you plan to drive it somewhere.

That's what I thought at first. But starting it for one minute means one minute of cold running, only. Starting and driving for half an hour means a full ten minutes of cold running plus 20 minutes of hot running. That seems to be far more likely to cause serious wear.
With the oils to the 1950s engines were very prone to cold running bore and ring wear. Wear virtually ceases at full temp. Many old studies showed wear in 1st few miles exceeded a hundred or more following. Not so critical with modern oils (maybe not classic). Neverthelss modern cars with near no wear despite enormous working pressures go to great lengths to acheive fast warm up and hot operation. With Sevens condensation is esp undesirable as corrdes the roller bearings. 
Starts just to move the car a few feet should be avoided. The fan belt can be removed and the radiator blanked for short stationary runs.
i suspect a thermostat would have more influence on cyl wear than all the exotic modern oils now often passed through the cars.
HI Andrew,
You could fit an inline heater in the bottom hose and with a thermostat in the top hose to regulate temp.
they just plug in to 230 volts ,
they used to be very common on older cars in cold climates

Colin
NZ
(22-09-2021, 11:49 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 09:38 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I would suggest don't start it unless you plan to drive it somewhere.

That's what I thought at first. But starting it for one minute means one minute of cold running, only. Starting and driving for half an hour means a full ten minutes of cold running plus 20 minutes of hot running. That seems to be far more likely to cause serious wear.

I meant leave it alone unless you plan to use the car. Mine regularly stands idle for a while with no ill effects. Wear happens every time you start the engine but that's inevitable. Plenty of owners use their A7's throughout the winter months without any issue.

When you do drive, wait till the engine is properly warm before attempting any heroics. And don't forget that water temperature and oil temperature are completely unrelated (especially if you use straight engine oil). 

There's a guy up the road who keeps a very expensive car in a lock-up next to my house, he's been through a string of different marques. Never drives them anywhere as far as I can tell, but diligently comes down every week or two, starts the engine and revs it in his garage for 5 minutes (presumably on full choke). Some day I will explain to him not only how irritating he is, but how much damage he is doing to his car; but he doesn't strike me as the listening type.
(23-09-2021, 08:05 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 11:49 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:

I meant leave it alone unless you plan to use the car. Mine regularly stands idle for a while with no ill effects. Wear happens every time you start the engine but that's inevitable. Plenty of owners use their A7's throughout the winter months without any issue.

When you do drive, wait till the engine is properly warm before attempting any heroics. And don't forget that water temperature and oil temperature are completely unrelated (especially if you use straight engine oil). 

There's a guy up the road who keeps a very expensive car in a lock-up next to my house, he's been through a string of different marques. Never drives them anywhere as far as I can tell, but diligently comes down every week or two, starts the engine and revs it in his garage for 5 minutes (presumably on full choke). Some day I will explain to him not only how irritating he is, but how much damage he is doing to his car; but he doesn't strike me as the listening type.

A very good point, Chris. I have a gauge on the radiator cap which shows the water gets up to temperature after perhaps five miles running, but it takes fifteen miles before the oil is up to running temperature and the engine is giving its best.
Our solution to this is:
1) The car is in everyday use all year round.
2) There is a Renault 5 thermostat fitted in the top hose. Speeds warm up. On frosty mornings thermo-syphon will never warm up
3) Using 5-30 fully synthetic oil
Jim