The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Out of the Mouth of Babes...
Yesterday afternoon I visited a local school so that various classes of Infants could have a look at a very old car to help with their current topic work.  After the teacher explained to the the first class how old the car was and asked me about various features, she opened it up to the five year olds for questions.  The first was:

"So you don't change your car very often, then?"
Perhaps the answer to that is:
Only when it wears out, and that hasn't happened yet...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I thought I saw a mention about an intake of breathe when 'no seatbelts' was mentioned - you could have told them that when we introduced seat belt legislation last century, from my memory there was more than an intake of breath from  UK.
When they are only five it might be hard to get across the nuances of the profound resistance from some during the last century to being forced to wear seat belts? I remember my uncle saying he would never wear one - he had a steering wheel to hold onto. But it was clear that the message had reached their parents?

One of the later questions was why do you like the car?

"Good question.  Let me think... To open the garage on a fresh, bright morning and be greeted by the smell of age, oil and leather.  To have the prospect of a quiet drive through the lanes fully engaged in the driving.  For the smiles and waves of passers-by.  For the camaraderie of like-minded friends and the sharing of similar experience.  For the reward of solving the inevitable challenges and curved balls thrown whilst trying to keep such an old vehicle fit for purpose and on the road.  And to have the opportunity to keep a piece of history alive for the next generations - not all development during the last 100 years has resulted in progress - there is much to be learnt from the past..."
(23-09-2021, 11:05 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: One of the later questions was why do you like the car?

"Good question.  Let me think... To open the garage on a fresh, bright morning and be greeted by the smell of age, oil and leather.  To have the prospect of a quiet drive through the lanes fully engaged in the driving.  For the smiles and waves of passers-by.  For the camaraderie of like-minded friends and the sharing of similar experience.  For the reward of solving the inevitable challenges and curved balls thrown whilst trying to keep such an old vehicle fit for purpose and on the road.  And to have the opportunity to keep a piece of history alive for the next generations - not all development during the last 100 years has resulted in progress - there is much to be learnt from the past..."

Quote of the year I think, we’ll said Colin!