The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear wheel judder in reverse
Hi people 
Can you give me some pointers as to why a 1932 Box Saloon should judder in reverse to the point that it virtually stops the car.
There are several reasons but what would your ports of call be ?.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Do you mean when reversing Derek, or when braking in reverse?
"Rear Axle Tramp" is the first thing which comes to mind. I think our colonial cousins call it "wheel hop".
Yes Chris whilst reversing

Yes Chris whilst reversing
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Hi Derek

My first port of call would be the torque tube bracket and ball.  Bracket itself is often loose allowing up and down movement and the torque tube ball is often worn allowing moment in all directions.

I have the latter to some extent on the Special but tightening the castellated nut any further is not an option as it immediately snags preventing rotation in the horizontal plane.  Angry.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Derek
has been discussed on here a few times and seems to always come out as 'tramp' and a feature rather than a fault. My 33 RP does it. You can feel it lifting, especially if reversing quickly.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Indeed, to an extent I think it's inherent in the design; though obviously if rear axle & suspension bits are unduly worn they may exacerbate the issue.
Derek,
I inadvertently cured my RP, which did the same, by changing to an SU carb. I found I was able to let the car tick over and letting the clutch out gently allowed me to reverse at slow speed  perfectly.
It became a pleasure to reverse into the garage rather that being an exciting manoeuvre.
I hope this helps!

Roger
Thanks chaps
I think the word is: when taking off in reverse you should 'feather' the clutch.
Hi Derek
It is probably well worth checking that the brake shoe pull off springs haven't become detached at the fulcrum or the fulcrum itself hasn't come adrift.
The former was the cause when I first acquired my RP.
Good luck solving the problem.
Bob