The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Sports
I think the O and the 6 are too far apart - that looks like a two letter, four number to me.

The various photos of OL 166 on Austin's website all show the car carrying an Austin Twenty script on the radiator core, and none of them show this car's radiator mascot or rear-view mirror. Inconclusive I know, but I'm sure this is not OL 166.
So that’s what happened, and made research rather more difficult. I am sorry about that, your sense of humour must have come under a little strain.
There were about 400,000 cars registered in England in 1923. Of these less than 4000 would be Sevens - so that is less than 1 in 100 of cars. The OL registration listing contains 9999 cars so about 100 Sevens might be expected to be registered OL? - and about 1 in 10 would be expected to have then last number 6 - so about 10 Sevens in total to check?
has anyone dated the picture yet.

i take it althought the seven looks shinny, it wasnt new.

cant tell what the motorcycle is, but it looks at least late 20s.

perhaps 1928 onwards.

tony
(14-09-2021, 06:48 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: There were about 400,000 cars registered in England in 1923.  Of these less than 4000 would be Sevens - so that is less than 1 in 100 of cars.  The OL registration listing contains 9999 cars so about 100 Sevens might be expected to be registered OL? - and about 1 in 10 would be expected to have then last number 6 - so about 10 Sevens in total to check?

with a body type that Austins photos show as worn by OL 166....
This ebay seller certainly seems to have an amazing amount of really nice small motoring collectables, including several somewhat desirable Austin related items. Also seems to have the 'Eve' mascot for sale as seen on the car photo - is it likely to be the actual one? There must be an intriguing story behind the Austin stuff - does anyone know how it came on to the market and where from?
It's a Dorset dealer. Also has this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144194433440?...SwwIFhOwC4 and some Austin promotional napkin ring. Agree... this needs investigating. Must be a clearance of some family connected to someone who was in Austins, surely?
(14-09-2021, 08:28 PM)bystander Wrote: This ebay seller certainly seems to have an amazing amount of really nice small motoring collectables, including several somewhat desirable Austin related items. Also seems to have the 'Eve' mascot for sale as seen on the car photo - is it likely to be the actual one? There must be an intriguing story behind the Austin stuff - does anyone know how it came on to the market and where from?

Good spot! Most of the items seem to have come from a recent auction, probably from the same original source, so yes, my guess would be that's the mascot from the car in the photo.
he seemed decent enough.

bought a few suppliers plates from me at beaulieu. (now on ebay) Big Grin

although it does show why beaulieu are failing, when we can cut them out as middle men. overpriced ones at that.  and ask more money for items on ebay.

tony
I certainly think there should be an attempt to keep the photo and mascot together - at least until some thorough research can be carried out. If there is a proven link it would be criminal to split them up