The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could it be Pinking?
Hi everyone,
This is a real long shot but I had a strange "pinging" noise in the Nippy between about 40 and 45 MPH which I think roughly equates to your troublesome rev range. Nothing was obviously amiss and everything ran fine otherwise both slower and faster.
Purely by chance one day, I caught the passenger door with my knee while in my garage (the car wasn't running) and heard the same noise. It turned out the passenger door lock mounting screws were slightly loose and allowed the catch to move against the striker plate making the noise. 30 seconds later, the screws were tightened up and the noise magically stopped!
Don't know if that helps or not?
Best wishes,
Nick
It is difficult to diagnose a noise one hasn't heard. However, for what little help it may be, my own car is reasonably quiet until one gets to about 45mph, when all sorts of nameless things start to vibrate and rattle. I suspect that they are all body related and I have given up trying to trace them all. With all funny noises, it is a question of deciding whether the funny noise in question signifies a problem or whether it is just part of the character of the car. Unfortunately, this can be quite difficult......
It couldn't be valve bounce I suppose?
Just add my 2p worth. I n the 1950s and 60s, I as a misguided youth used to "improve" the performance of my morris minor by over advancing the ignition, This resulted in pinking especially on full throttle acceleration. I would describe the noise as crackling tinkling, i.e. high pitched. I think the OP would have had pinking long before reaching 40 to 45 mph. I've never heard it on my 7, but I do get rumbling, i.e. low piched, when I forget to retard when accelerating from a low engine speed.
Hi

I’ve been following this thread for a while as I have a similar problem on the Special.  A rough vibration noise at certain revs when pulling hard.  I think I’ve found the culprit this morning.  The Engine mounting bolts were loose  Angry Angry.

Cheers

Howard