The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Significant Day
One hundred years ago today on 11th September 1921, and which fell on a Sunday, saw Stanley Edge journeying over to Lickey Grange on his motor cycle. Met at the door by Sir Herbert, he was ushered though the library into the billiard room where upon the table were strewn sketches and ideas made by Sir Herbert. Here Austin immediately got to work explaining and discussing these ideas with Edge for a new model which went on to be the Austin Seven.
An auspicious day, one which went on to help secure the future of the Austin Motor Company and to change the face of motoring in Great Britain.
Nice catch there Chris, well done, a significant day indeed !!

Aye
Greig
What make/model of motorcycle was Stanley riding?
I have the coat he wore on that motorbike, will post some photos later in the week.
Duncan,
A Connaught 2 speed with chain-cum-belt drive, bought new by his father for him at a cost of £76.10.0 who recognised that his son was making something of his life.
This motor cycle was later exchanged for a single geared pre 1914 big twin REX - a " 90 bore J.A.P. " and which Edge later converted to a 3-speed chain-cum-belt drive.
Edge had a fascination with 'bikes and was always designing or re-designing such.

.jpg   1921 Connaught.jpg (Size: 200.8 KB / Downloads: 390)
May I say with the utmost respect and a slight sense of silliness that this is likely the most unusual alternate significance of 9/11.  Smile
Well, I'm impressed! It was almost tongue-in-cheek but I was interested to know. What I'd give for that bike!!!
I'm sure many on the forum will have tales of their motorcycling days before they managed to scrape enough dosh to buy that coveted 7 for £14-10s-6d.
I was early into bikes and very late into Sevens but perhaps a new thread from ex-motorcyclists (with or without tales of the Watsonian Double Adult chair)?
I was never into bikes, always wanted a car - my first car in 1973 was my 1936 Series I Morris 8 Tourer which I still own today followed closely by a blaze orange MGB GT (still showing as currently taxed on DVLA despite me selling it three years later). However my late neighbour on the opposite side of the street had a Brough Superior sidecar combination from the 1950's through to the early 1970's. After his death his wife who knew absolutely nothing about bikes apparently sold it to a "collector" who's never been heard of since! I would loved to have got my hands on that bike, if only to have kept it until 2021 with the intention of selling it on given the current value of such a machine.
Would love to know more about Stanley Edge. With a good secondary ed a lot could be learned from night classes but he seemd very young to have completed much study and to so accurately proportion  components, esp apparently with little contact with other makes. The motor apparently very closely follows the FN bike but there is much more to the car than themotor. not sure if Austin personally did the deatail design of earlier cars.