The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow restoration
I started the restoration of my 65 Arrow https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=6282, and I will probably have a lot of puzzles to be solved...
[Image: IMG20210903172853.jpg]
I was not able to remove the radiator cap (I suppose that it is not an original cap) and so can't remove the radiator cowl. Any suggestion?[Image: IMG20210815124139.jpg]
[Image: IMG20210907192142.jpg]
As well as the usual methods of heat then  plus gas application and incrementally twist and untwist .You might try tightening a modern radiator clamp around the upper portion of the aluminium collar to save the surface and get a grip
You are correct - there's no part of that cap that's original - so if the worst comes to the worst, you can cut it off without damaging any original components.
Is there some sort of pin or grub screw that I can see on the left of the photo above the start of the bonnet hinge?
(08-09-2021, 08:20 AM)David Stepney Wrote: Is there some sort of pin or grub screw that I can see on the left of the photo above the start of the bonnet hinge?

No, only dirt...
Potential for a very nice car here — I have a hunch the spinners are from Cambridge Engineering, I had them on my Cambridge where they looked OK.
Of course it’s a matter of taste but I’m not sure they work quite so well on the relatively sophisticated design of the Arrow.
It’s only an opinion …………
Spinners are original equipment on the 65 and 75 Arrow, they are illustrated on contemporary advertising brochures.
presumably that is an aluminium converter for a bayonet rad cap on an earlier screw thread radiator? So both junctions will have corrosion. I'd grab the top of the brass logo bit with extremely large stilsons to try and release after putting some heat on. Something will probably snap somewhere. The base screw thread may give first.
In view of the non-originality of the cap/neck arrangement I would use a Dremel type tool to make a slot down each side of the aluminium extension piece, and split it off with a couple of large screwdrivers, posibly leaving a standard threaded neck. It almost looks to me as though that neck may have been soldered onto the original to extend it. If that is the case, carefully melt or break the solder leaving the original bayonet neck or a neck which could be recovered to that desirable state.
Thank you for your suggestion and confirmation about non originality of this arrangement.
Another non originality concern was when I discovered this rear suspension arrangement:
[Image: IMG20210910182733.jpg]
I thought it was a DIY modification until I saw this:
[Image: IMG20210910182430_BURST001.jpg]
It is not the same but maybe other similar item were produced?
I am just guessing if it is better to restore it as a part of the car history or remove to go back to the original fitting...