The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Nippy owner
                    Hey there, first up I apologize , my questions may be in previous threads. 
I have recently acquired/saved a 1937 Austin Nippy. At least it looks like it's a nippy.....or was anyway. Seems this vehicle was rally adapted...I believe in England.

Anyhow, said Nippy runs, got her fired up last night. Has oil pressure.  But...and I think this is going to a regular statement.....some parts do not belong on said Nippy. Or said Nippy's engine.

The oil dipstick would appear to be wrong. It hits the sump, bounces about when engine is running and the "flange" or "seat" of the dipstick is above the block. 

So, my first concern is adequate oil level (best oil type is also a question....as is do you guys add zinc to you oils) and I figure perhaps the best way was to ask one of you fellows what the oil level height off the sump is.....approximately. 

But what engine do I have? I dunno.

10cc-Da-H  42084  is the engine number. It has a Aluminum plate as well says 1100.

I am hoping to add some pics to this .....at least give a minor chance of success here. Yep, awfully hard to know with no info.

I have no other Austins to go look at or fellow owners to quiz.....your it at this point guys.

Doh....pics are first. Patience guys....big learning curve in process. 

Oh, and thankyou very much for any assistance you are willing to provide, it is appreciated. Smile  

I am in Florida. The Nippy is left hand drive. Paperwork says 1937. The story that comes along with the vehicle is that it won races in England, was brought to the US by a serviceman.

Thats about all I have. Loads to go on ....right?  Oh, and some bugger did away with the boot....grrrr.
It would be very helpful to have pictures showing the whole of the car from the front, both sides, and the rear. Shots of the front and rear axles and the dashboard would also be useful. The engine might be a post-WW2 BMC "A" Series.

Attached Files
.jpg   nippyxxx.jpg (Size: 487.7 KB / Downloads: 744)
Absolutely. But I am right at the beginning and the brakes are all messed up .....and no handbrake either. I hope to roll her out over the weekend to get said pics. No idea on the oil height off sump?

Some more pics....helpfull perhaps?            

And sorry for the pics on their sides, they were right on the comp before I uploaded them and there appears to be no way to rotate in the post. Sorry.
It's clearly been heavily modified. The engine is a post-war A-series (nothing to do with Austin Sevens and I'd assume that the gearbox goes with that.

The chassis number dates from the turn of 1936/'37. It's not recorded on the A7CA chassis register. Jon Edgar is the Nippy expert here and should pick this up. The body number important on a Nippy) should be stamped in the top of the transmission tunnel, just behind the handbrake.
(04-09-2021, 08:36 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: It's clearly been heavily modified.  The engine is a post-war A-series (nothing to do with Austin Sevens and I'd assume that the gearbox goes with that.

The chassis number dates from the turn of 1936/'37.  It's not recorded on the A7CA chassis register.  Jon Edgar is the Nippy expert here and should pick this up.  The body number important on a Nippy) should be stamped in the top of the transmission tunnel, just behind the handbrake.

The rear shackles and wheels suggest that the rest of the running gear many not be very Nippy either 

C
Though neither the engine nor the chassis are from a seven it is a very nice little car. Drive it proudly Ralph!
The chassis members under the engine might be Austin 7.

Re the dipstick.

It looks like an A series engine Austin A 30, A 35, Austin Healey Sprite maybe, if you want to look these up.

(Probably not these, if it really is an 1100 cc engine, though)

Somebody must know what it is, from that engine number.

It won't be critical about the level of oil in it.

I would cut the bottom of the dipstick off,  until it sits where you want it to.

My A7 runs with about 65mm of oil when full.

It is many years since I worked on an A35 engine, I would guess that the sump is deeper that the A7, so would run with 75mm of oil and mark the dipstick to suit.

At least that will start you off.

Better still, identify the engine, contact the relevant car club, see if they can find you a correct dipstick.
A-series engine codes:

10 = 1098cc
CC = Austin-Healy Sprite or MG Midget Mk2
Da ???
H = High compression cylinder head
42084 = Sequential number

The chassis number plate is a post-war style, stamped with a '36/'37 A7 chassis number.

It would be very interesting to know more about the chassis and running gear.
I don't have the 260637 on record. It would be around body 900 - Ralph, can you look and see if there is a number on the transmission tunnel if it still exists. Just behind handbrake area.

...and let us know if there are any UK registration details still in the file!
A bit easier to see. Whatever it is, it looks to be a sporting little job - and I love what seems to be a huge fuel tank

Attached Files
.jpg   20210903_192810.jpg (Size: 431.24 KB / Downloads: 642)
.jpg   20210903_192815.jpg (Size: 452.27 KB / Downloads: 640)
.jpg   20210903_192823.jpg (Size: 528.89 KB / Downloads: 639)