The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Curious Typographical Error
Perusing the handbook for my RP saloon (edition 972B), I came across the following 'typo' on page 6, headed " Its Leading Features" :-

"LIGHTING . . By fear-driven dynamo, with accumulators and dimmer."

Which brings me to a curious thought: If one is having trouble with the charging circuit on your 1933 RP saloon, are you frightening the dynamo enough?

I'll get my coat......
Electricity be the work of Satan - doesn't surprise me one jot!
Austin publications incorporate many errors. The spark advance for the early Ruby has been the cause of much difficulty and possibly not a few broken cranks over the decades. And there are some wondrous illustrations in the parts book. Most gross is probably the straight cut diff pinion.
I gather a tradesmans wage was less the L5 which makes insurance expensive, esp as theft then prsumably less of a threat. Perhaps it explains the extensive repairs often carried out, facilitated by metal thick enough to work with.
Tremendous find David, love it!
Thank you Ruairidh. I have done a little bit of research in the archive. It appears that this particular error only occurs in editions 972A and B.
The fact it was repeated is superb.

Made my night, thanks David.
I think on a rainy night, there were probably many expletives tossed at the electrics.

Erich in Mukilteo
HI All,
The last line Insurance, a great incentive to live the Country. Big Grin

Colin
NZ
But unless it had completely failed due overcharging and cooking or failure to check the brushes could always limp home.  One headlight can be very easily disconnected and do not have to unpack the boot to find the crankhandle. and even if the dyanmo fails can go a huge distance. The alternator failed just 100 miles from home in my sons car. $500 (L250) to be brought home.
And where are the other accumulators?