The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby speedo cable routing
Can anyone share a picture of the correct speedo cable routing on a Mark 1 Ruby?

Many thanks
Steve
Sorry no picture,, the cable passes through holes in the battery box. It runs beside the battery approx 2” up the front to 6” in the bulkhead.

Found one    
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Thanks Derek.

What happens once it leaves the battery box?
My MK1 ARQ Ruby has the speedo cable pass through the bulkhead above the throttle shaft and below the battery box box, cant see why it would go through the battery box ???
Here's the hole below the battery box on a Mk.1 Ruby.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30-08-2021, 09:04 PM)sjthompson Wrote: Thanks Derek.

What happens once it leaves the battery box?

It goes down under the chassis to the connection on the back of the gearbox doesn't it ?
The cable on my car takes a slightly longer route after it leaves the battery box by passing round the main cable going to the starter motor before diving between the chassis rail and steering arm/drag link connection.  Where the cable passes the chassis rail, the steering arm/drag link only just miss it as they go back and forth.  On these later cables the armouring is of greater diameter than the originals? 

The speedo cable has to be kept away from the starter motor switch, or it can cause a short and start a fire.

Colin
The speedo cable on my Mk 2 Ruby also goes through the battery box as described and shown above. It seems to be the original route for this car. This arrangement gives very relaxed bends for the whole route of the cable. Not the best aesthetically, though.
Graham Barker
(31-08-2021, 09:06 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: The cable on my car takes a slightly longer route after it leaves the battery box by passing round the main cable going to the starter motor before diving between the chassis rail and steering arm/drag link connection.  Where the cable passes the chassis rail, the steering arm/drag link only just miss it as they go back and forth.  On these later cables the armouring is of greater diameter than the originals? 

The speedo cable has to be kept away from the starter motor switch, or it can cause a short and start a fire.

Colin

I've had a little trouble getting the cable to run quietly - might you have a picture of your cable's route? The cable on our Mk.1 also seems a little too long; might those fitted to the Mk.1 and Mk. 2 be different - with the Mk.2 being longer?
Photo is a view down - coil, steering box, engine mounting and starter on the left.  Speedo cable comes from battery box and passes about 1" away from the starter motor on the way down, held in place by a cable tie onto the thick cable cable going to the starter motor switch.  It then disappears down past and under the chassis, just missing the grease nipple on the drag link.  

Whether this helps or not remains to be seen.

Don't know if speedo cables for Mk1 and Mk2 Rubys need to be different?

Attached Files
.jpg   Speedo Cable Routing.jpg (Size: 161.15 KB / Downloads: 86)