The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Ruby front Brakes
Question 
When braking I recently suffered a loud "banking" noise from the front brakes, this got worse to the extent that the car was pulling sharply to the left. 

On examination I found that the brake linings were heavily contaminated, so I removed the hubs and shoes and on stripping the hubs found that they were full of runny goo which was probably once grease.

I'm replacing all the bearings with sealed units and fitting a modern oil seal and I've replaced the brake linings.

Question is do I need to do anything to the linings before finally fitting to the car? 

I've seen pictures of the hubs being lined with sandpaper so that the linings can be bedded In! Also do I remove the felt washer plate when fitting the modern seal? 

Or do I just refit all the parts and see how my brakes perform.

All advice and suggestion more than welcome.
My view would be that if the linings are heavily contaminated, I would imagine that has soaked into the lining material and it should be replaced. The contamination will continue to ooze out and you will never get decent braking efficiency in that case...
Hugh is right, you can try cleaning/soaking them in alcohol based cleaners, but the oil will always come back in my experience and cause grabbing.

As it is a safety related item, new linings are the best option.
I would try it with the new linings.

Assuming the drums go on - sometimes, they don't, new parts can make re-fitting difficult.

There may be a ridge round the outside edge, if you have Girling drums,   On occasion, I have had to file this down a bit - like taking the ridge off the top of a cylinder bore.

Then drive around a bit, a long braking session downhill, if you can manage it.

If the brakes work well enough by the time you reach the bottom of the hill, leave them alone.

They should improve given time.

Otherwise, inspection of the linings should show if there are particular high spots.

If you touch them up them with a file, it is easy to take too much off.
I removed the original linings and fitted new ones with new rivets and shamphered the leading and trailing edges, they look smooth with no gaps when placed in the drums. So I'll now fit them with the new springs. Then when the bearings arrive I'll build up the hubs. The Inner hub has 3 holes that line up with the outer hub holes tapped 1/4" BSF but no screws were fitted. Should I fit new screws?
The three countersunk screws hold the drum and the two halves of the hub assembly together. Not so much of a problem if you're fitting sealed bearings as there will be no grease to escape, but refitting them is good practice. They are available from our cherished suppliers.
Got new screws and I'll fit them with a touch of threadlock. Don't know why they weren't fitted before.
Don't threadlock them. They aren't going anywhere once the wheels are on.
Definitely don't 'Loctite' the brake steady screws in! They should only be just lightly nipped. You may be the one to try and get them out again! As Cliff says, they can't go anywhere once the wheel in son and, in any case, the wheelnuts hold everything together anyway That's why a previous owner got away with leaving them off.
Thanks for the advice on not using Loctite on the screws.

The only other question I have is, would you fit a modern oil seal or stay with fitting a new felt seal as I'm fitting sealed bearings, so no greasing in the future. (I've got both types of seals).

If fitting the modern seal I guess that I would not fit the felt seal washer plate.

Thanks for all the advice.