The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Trailer required
I've decided to retire my current 50 year old trailer and was wondering if any forum members have experience of trailers manufactured by PRG, Hazlewood, Woodford, Phoenix or indeed any other manufacturers of A7 size car trailers they think I should be looking at.
I investigated this a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that they are all much of a muchness and around £2450 including VAT. At the time only one offered to build a custom job designed to take a Seven - and that was plus 25% on the base price of an off-the-shelf job. In the end, I bought a good used Smart car trailer with slide-out-clip-in ramps for £950 and bolted two lengths of angle iron on the inside of the runs to narrow them. It's a little too big, but does the job and is very well made. Lots of eBay from £650 for an early version to £1250 and up for late ones little used. Sold ones include:
This one looks the job: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Car-Tra...7675.l2557
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-James-S...7675.l2557
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/smart-car-tra...7675.l2557
I have had an identical model to the Brian James Smart car trailer for several years now and found it very satisfactory for trailering my SWB cars and, just at a pinch, my LWB models. 
Tows well, light enough to be manually hauled about, well made and with the bonus of the winch.
Give Stuart a call, he took over my BANTAM TRAILERS Brand,         
I'm the handsome one in the hat.
Wow! Just what I was going to want till they told me it is going up from £3.5K to £5K.
(26-08-2021, 02:38 PM)Scarlet O'Hara Wrote: I've decided to retire my current 50 year old trailer and was wondering if any forum members have experience of trailers manufactured by PRG, Hazlewood, Woodford, Phoenix or indeed any other manufacturers of A7 size car trailers they think I should be looking at.

I significantly rebuilt my 50 year old twin axle trailer because it's expensive and hard to find small four wheelers. Smaller trailers are easier to store and mine is the same overall width as my tow car, which is handy (but I couldn't fit my son's Fiat Punto on when it broke down!)
I replaced the suspension, brakes, hubs,wiring, lights, new chequer plate base, new lashing points and some extra metal welded in (and lots of waxoyl). Tows beautifully and I hope that its age and size is a disincentive to the all too common trailer thief. I reckon a modern trailer would have better brakes (it has a single braked axle at this age) but 4 wheel discs on the tow car compensates, and it's only towing an Austin.

Charles
(27-08-2021, 10:02 AM)Biddlecombe Wrote: Wow! Just what I was going to want till they told me it is going up from £3.5K to £5K.
Looks like I need to get back into the trailer business !!!!!
Pheonix trailers made an A7 size trailer for me based on their standard trailer which worked out cheaper than their standard trailer, less metal.  Tows well and easy to use e.g. I can take the A7 off with out unhitching which I could not previously do with my other trailer. From memory it was about £1.5k, this was just before covid so prices may have changed.