The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modification to uncoupled brakes
I came across this the other day. Good thing to do, or not?

.png   image_2021-08-25_102110.png (Size: 131.68 KB / Downloads: 664)
Yes a good thing to do
Alan Fairless
I have done this many times and agree with Alan, a good and sensible modification to make.
During the Top Hat chassis restoration, I welded straps from the top of the cross shaft bracket to the front crossmember. Has to be done in the dismantled state to avoid melting the zinc bushes. I can report that the brake pedal is firm and the brakes work remarkably well. I also re-fabricated the "Bodello" coupling device......
Hi Nick

Yes definitely.  I used pipe brackets with a copper “bearing” soldered in. (Excuse the Phillips head set screws  Blush ).

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't understand the need for the "bearing" Howard. Only for not allowing the bolt to rub directly on the shaft?
I think it is just used to reduce the internal diameter of the pipe clamp for a good fit Renault...but I could be wrong!
(25-08-2021, 11:57 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I think it is just used to reduce the internal diameter of the pipe clamp for a good fit Renault...but I could be wrong!

Spot on Ivor  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
A similar one at the near side would prevent the bracket moving back.
watching underneath while someone presses the brake pedal is interesting. The movement on the brackets is surprising!
Jim
(25-08-2021, 05:14 PM)AustinWood Wrote: A similar one at the near side would prevent the bracket moving back.
watching underneath while someone presses the brake pedal is interesting. The movement on the brackets is surprising!

I have exactly that arrangement  Smile.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   3EA322B0-A79C-4944-88FB-5520A9D7A152.jpeg (Size: 117.72 KB / Downloads: 343)