The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner from Hampshire
Just posting to say hello. 

I had been considering an Austin Seven for a little while, but my plans were unexpectedly brought forward by a slight misunderstanding on an auction site. I now have custody of what Brightwell's described as a "1935/2 Chummy". The underlying car was registered in March 1935 but bears an earlier body and an engine somewhere in between!

I have already found answers to a couple of questions on these forums (the starter motor now works properly and I've stopped worrying about the drip from the fuel tap!) and I'm looking forward to learning more.

It seems to run well and luckily Mrs. W loves it too, so it looks like I've got away with it! 

.jpg   chummy-03-s.jpg (Size: 224.63 KB / Downloads: 514)
Welcome Ian. Great to see that you now have a Seven and I hope you will now take a look at the plans for the Centenary in July 2022. 

https://a7centenary.com
Visually that looks period correct for a late-1931 or 1932 AG tourer; presumably it has got a shortened 1935 chassis under it all, but I'd just stick with describing it as a 1932.
It would be interesting to know more about this car. Finding the various numbers would be a good start - see http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf for a guide to where to find them and what they mean. Please let us know what you find.
Hi Ian

That's a nice looking car. You seem to have an "interesting" cylinder head, judging from the plugs grouped in two pairs.
The last time I saw this car it was fitted with the military engine that went on to power Jack P's RP from Buenos Aires to New York.

I think I know the new engine rather well too - it is a modern copy of a Ricardo cylinder head.
Looks very good to me and is perfectly useable. It has coupled brakes, a stronger body - a good 4 inches wider than the earlier long scuttle cars- and is rather more comfortable for today's "larger" people. We'd all love to see some more detailed pictures and so enjoy a discussion/argument/row about what is and isn't correct. The dripping tap can be cured by searching the forum for - naturally - petrol tap. e.g. https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p#pid66405
Strangely enough bought one of those heads from Dave last week !!
(23-08-2021, 08:21 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The last time I saw this car it was fitted with the military engine that went on to power Jack P's RP from Buenos Aires to New York.

I think I know the new engine rather well too - it is a modern copy of a Ricardo cylinder head.

Yes Ruairidh, you were mentioned in the original auction description:

"The engine was rebuilt by Ruairidh 'Rory' Dunford some while ago, but has covered so few miles it still needs running in. The more observant of you will have spotted the 'go faster' aluminium head and we are told it has a splash-fed Phoenix crank so all should be well in the engine department."

https://www.brightwellslive.com/lot/details/532365

There is a handwritten note from the previous owner stating the same thing and giving details of "running in" - i.e. 50 miles at 30mph and an oil change, then repeat.

I have found the car listed in the A7CA chassis register. The chassis number is 217908 (the register says 217905, which I think must just be a typo). I have the continuation buff logbook which has the car as a blue/black saloon, registration WO-9578.  It now has a 1957 registration, I assume "WO 9578" was sold as according to the DVLA it is now on a SORNed 2002 Dodge RAM 250

There is a number "AG 606" stamped on the transmission tunnel between the front seats, which I take to be the body number. The engine number in the original logbook, the current V5C and the registry is M219225; however the number on the engine is actually "M179976". 

Thanks, everyone for your interest. I will find a few detailed pictures to post.
Ian, where in The great county are you situated. I’m near Basingstoke
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.