The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear fuel tank overflow-breather
Filling our Ruby eventually results in fuel coming out of the breather pipe. Is this normal and can it be modified so it doesn't happen? Would the tank breath through the filler cap if the pipe was blocked?
That's when I know to stop filling my tank....
Tony,

This has been discussed at length before on the forum and the consensus was that you can block the breather with no ill effects. I'm about to try it because of the horrible smell of petrol in the garage. 

Do report back if you get around to it before me!
Surely I am not the only person who watches the petrol gauge, and stops filling when it begins to look pretty full. I have learned a polite response to the daily passer by whose grandfather/father /other relative had a Seven. Just say hang on a minute. Failing to concentrate on the gauge allows one to keep filling until the gentle flow of petrol from under the car demonstrates the breather overflow.
I solved the problem by inserting a windscreen washer one-way valve into the pipe, a bit of sealant to hold it in place, allows air to enter but stops petrol & fumes from exiting, tank can be filled to the brim without it leaking, problem solved while maintaining its ability to breathe!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264540876656
(19-08-2021, 08:46 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Tony,

This has been discussed at length before on the forum and the consensus was that you can block the breather with no ill effects. I'm about to try it because of the horrible smell of petrol in the garage. 

Do report back if you get around to it before me!
Thank you, Peter. I'll try that. I thought of extending the breather with a rubber pipe up to near the filler tube and fitting it with a one-way valve.
In a previous post I mentioned that I had simply bent the overflow pipe 90 degrees towards the drivers side and with a rubber hose joiner added a length of copper pipe that runs up the quarter panel and down . No leakage and I now fill to the brim.
I have blocked the breather completely to reduce the petrol smell as reported in my earlier post "Not so smelly Austin".  Seems to be fine.  Breathes ok through the filler cap.  No sign of fuel starvation at the pump or carb.
I have blocked the breather completely to reduce the petrol smell as reported in my earlier post "Not so smelly Austin".  Seems to be fine.  Breathes ok through the filler cap.  No sign of fuel starvation at the pump or carb.
Oops. Computer had a hiccup and I accidentally posted twice.