The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin ascents

On 29th July 1922 Louis Kings won a class award putting the works 20hp Austin up Shelsley. Perhaps more significantly, the second car he drove that day was the first major public appearance of Longbridge's latest creation, the Austin Seven. Two up, on Shelsley's loose and dusty surface, and with the original 670cc engine, Kings made a time of 89.9 seconds. 

This September, on Tuesday 28th, the tour of historic hillclimbs will start at Shelsley. We still have a couple of places open, so you could record your own, informal, time up Shelsley, before attempting seven more historic venues. If the day starts with the perfumes of Castrol R, it will end with the scents of smoke and cylinder oil at Bridgnorth Station. 

For further information about what excitement awaits Sevens in September, please contact ether Colin Bromley (Chummy chewed up half shaft illustrated on the forum) colin.bromley@yahoo.com, or myself (Ruby lunched big end yesterday afternoon) stevekaytwo@btinternet.com.
On the same day several of us will be tackling some real hills on the PWA7C Cumbria Run!   I don't know what the best time is for the ascent of Kirkstone Pass in an Austin 7.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I remember the pub at the top pf Kirkstone Pass, having called in during my honeymoon many years ago. I asked the licensee what time he closed and his reply was "Depends on how deep your pockets are lad". Nuff said.
There is a better scan of this image, (from the original glass plate) here

Crop of the car below.

[Image: a677crop.jpg?itok=OUCitAPF]
Great photo.
The driver has the appropriate expression of concentration, apprehension, and terror.
...and here is my 1923 Chummy at approximately the same place on 29th July 1992, courtesy of the MAC who just happened to have a meeting that day, 90 years to the day since that historic occassion.  I'm still looking to find a voluminous cap like Kings'.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robin,

I think you'll find he style of Lou Kings' is, these days, described as " news boy ".
Robin, try Village Hats and look up Newsboy caps as has been mentioned, loads of them at all prices
Thanks Chris and Denis.  I'll have a look and hopefully somewhere to keep my lunch warm when out and about.