The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propshaft Bearings
Hi,

I have traced the transmission vibration on my special to collapsed bearings in the prop shaft's UJs.
It is a late ruby type hardy spicer prop. 
I have removed the shaft and have it on the bench but I can't for the life of me see how to remove the bearings to replace them
Not much brute force , but plenty of ignorance.
Has anyone got any suggestions please?
Take out the circlips retaining the bearing caps.
Drive a cap IN, this forces the one the other side out. Then drive the cruciform back to force out the one you've driven in.
Assembly, in the time honoured phrase, is the reverse of removal.

We've just done one on a Ciroen SM which is a bit more of a fiddle being inside the hub. It's front~wheel-drive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim
Thanks -  I'll give it another go tomorrow
Refitting the bearing cups requires a certain amount of care, as it is easy to displace a roller which will then get between the end of the cruciform and the end of the bearing cup.

The way I do it is as follows:-

1. Clean the bores in the yokes with a bit of emery cloth to get rid of any crud.
2. Start one of the cups into it's bore and assemble the cruciform into the yoke making sure that one of its legs engages with the bearing.
3. Using a vice, push the bearing cap flush with the top of the yoke.
4. Push the opposite bearing cap into the yoke a little way, sufficient so that, if you slide the opposite leg of the cruciform into it, it does not completely disengage from the one you have already fitted.
5. Keeping the cruciform in both bearings, gently squeeze the second cup into the yoke with the vice.
6. Make sure that the cruciform turns and slides between the cups easily.
7. Using a socket smaller than the bearing cap squeeze one cap in until you can fit the circlip into its groove.
8. Turn the yoke over and do the same with the other cap, making sure that the circlip goes properly into its groove.

Repeat the performance to fit the bearings to the other yoke.

Personally, I prefer to fit the bearings and cruciform to the yoke on the end of the propshaft first and fit the flanged yoke second as I find it easier.

Strangely enough, I have just fitted new universal joint kits to a Landrover propshaft this afternoon, so the technique is fresh in my mind.

Hope this helps.
When removing the old bearings, I found it easier to squeeze them out in the vice, rather than hammering them. I used a small socket to push one side and a larger on the other side into which the bearing that is being pushed out can sit.

Jamie.
It is a delicate job and I would never use a hammer or anything else to 'drive' the cups in or out. As Jamie says, use a vice. I find that a selection of sockets from a socket set are useful to enable the vice to push the bearing cups.

Whether the finished job will be out of balance is always a concern. It's probable best to mark the yolks so they go back in their original positions rather an 180 degrees out.
One end stripped out, one for tomorrow.

Definitely needed doing.

Thanks for the advice, all useful.