The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Electronic rev counter...
Is it possible to fit an electronic rev counter to an Austin Seven and, if so, what do I need to do please?
Hi Ruairidh,

I fitted one to my special, it was easy to fit and works from an impulse from the coil.
i will try and find the details and pass them on.
Tod
Perfect, thank you!
Coil or magneto engine? I have an electronic tach in my special. Just power and ground (12 volt though!) and a signal wire to the LT side of the coil.

Simon
12v coil, thank you Simon.
In my experience if you can now find a 6 Volt unit yes they work, as noted they pick up through the coil wire. I have used a couple of smiths units but found them to be unreliable in the long run, over several years they start to jump around and read inaccurately or simply pack up altogether. I believe that this is due to the amount of electrical noise on an unregulated A7 system eventually damaging some of the electronic components....Simon or one of our other electronics experts may have a solution. You may be able to use a 12volt unit with a step down transformer, but again I am not sure how reliable it would be in the long term.
Black Art Enthusiast
I use these (12 volt) on OY, the Forrest and my everyday A50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193593617174?...%3A2334524
ETB instruments do a period style Tacho in 12 v which I have used for many years now without any problems. You will have to ask for the style you want as it is no longer listed exactly, but I bought another about a year ago. The brass surround soon mellows to a patinated finish.
So reading between the lines I presume an electronic rev counter can’t be used for mag ignition. Is there an alternative?
(17-08-2021, 02:23 AM)RossV Wrote: So reading between the lines I presume an electronic rev counter can’t be used for mag ignition. Is there an alternative?

A mechanical one makes a good substitute!

C