The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pearl and Opal Classification
The body on my Ruby is a wreck, so I am planning on using it as the basis of a special. I intend to use as much of the Ruby as possible: I am not scrapping it.

I had planned to make an open car, but do not really want to deal with changing the logbook if I can avoid it.

As an alternative, I am thinking about an opening roof similar to the Pearl and Opal; one which leaves the fixed sides of the roof in place.

Does anyone know for sure whether these two models are described as saloons or something else?

Regards,

Jamie.
The Opal is a Tourer, and the Pearl is known as a Cabriolet having been sold as that in its day. The conoscenti of the coachbuilding world when being strict about it claim cabriolet for a tourer with wind up windows, but without fixed side roof structure. For your purpose I would suggest that changing your body to something like the Austin description of cabriolet may be a good option, just my opinion.
Thank you, Robert.

Would anyone with either model be happy to let me know how they are recorded on their V5c?

Regards,

Jamie.
Hi Jamie 
The original December 1935 log book for my Pearl lists it as a cabriolet. 
Just checked the V5C and surprised to see it as saloon. Had not noticed before.
Gordon
Hi Jamie,
Just looked at my V5C they say Opal Tourer Pearl Convertible.

Brian.
Thank you, Brian and Gordon.

One saloon and one convertible. Perhaps replicating the broad structure of the Pearl is the best approach without needing to change the logbook from saloon.

Regards,

Jamie.
You could say a Pearl is a saloon with a very long sunroof. 
Gordon
(15-08-2021, 08:45 AM)Gordon Puzey Wrote: You could say a Pearl is a saloon with a very long sunroof. 
Gordon

I confess that this is what was wandering through my mind. My Ruby original had a sun roof, although none of it was there when I bought it, and the "roof" is simply a open space. The main difference that I can see between this and the Pearls and Opals is that their rear windows fold flat.

Regards,

Jamie.
I remember may years ago regularly seeing a vintage saloon with a home made Webasto type roof, not too difficult to make.
Some years ago I ran a Lancia Delta Cabriolet; there was no hood frame as such, just loose canvas with a front header bar, stretched over a couple of tensioning bars - should be a simple conversion to an existing saloon:

.jpg   008.800.jpg (Size: 308.51 KB / Downloads: 128)