The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power outputs
Heads seem to be 1.5 inches deep originally so any significant planing can be determined externally
Re Eddamoo above the butt dynamometer is very unreilable with Sevens. Harshness and exhaust note, as with generous spark advance and or mains with almost any clearances, can be mistaken for "power". And to the uninitiated terror influences appreciation at speed. Perhaps someone with patience can sort all the figures into columns. Curiously the valve timing intended for the sedate conditions of 1922 is very similar to Minis and high revving relatives of the 60s and later. Very many cars had timing somewhat as the Seven, some shorter duration. The wierd exception was the Model T
This is all very interesting, for many years I've fancied dropping a small diesel into a cheap engineless box saloon or Ruby, and using it every day. 

The mpg should be good if nothing else. 

The Kubota, super mini range, 3 cyl at anything from 600odd cc to say 900odd cc seem to have comparible power, the size would be a doddle to fit in. And not going silly with power means I could get away with standard brakes. The power rating also would suggest the Austin drivetrain may well stand up, but it is difficult to judge the torque, as very little is quoted for the Austin engine. Max revs 3800 also which seems to suit. And probably availible for less than a grand. 

I have nippy axle, standard and earlier 4.9, so have a few options for axle ratio. Also 17 and 16inch wheels.
I have been eying up a Kuboto 1500 four cylinder diesel from a generator set in a corner of work.
Its a bit on the large side so a three pot might be better. It would have to pass modern emmisions and be MOT tested though.
yes, the 4 pot would be a bit too powerful
Hi Hedd,
The one at work has a baby turbocharger fitted !!!

Back to Austin Seven Engines.
The engine in my EB65 has been hotted up a bit and will spin up to 7500 RPM not that I use it, but it regularly is used up to 6000 RPM.
I am not sure of the actual power output but it is happy at 5000 RPM in fourth gear.
I have a pair of 3.25 x 17 tyres that I sometimes use on the back end for local hillclimbs and sprints which drop the effective gearing down and allow the engine to hold its revs better.
Its not unknown for me to overtake modern cars on B roads and dual lane roads.
I have to stalk them and wait for a suitable opportunity with wind and slope in the right direction though.
The downside of my tuned engine is the fact that a bog standard box saloon can pull away from me up hill below 2000 Rpm.
The fastest speed that I have seen on road is 72 MPH according to GPS. ( This was with 3.50 x 19 tyres )
Maybe its time I had the car put on the local rolling road to find out what it actually produces.
I'm sure I read on here (or the old forum) about a guy in OZ that has a Ruby fitted with the running gear from a Suzuki Jimny. I believe that's a diesel.
This one?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions...ial-QgNla4
Hi,
I think there was a misunderstanding when i said HP is irrelevant
If you put an Engine on a engine Dyno or the car on a rolling road
It reads Torque and then calculates HP
you can not Directly read HP, some will say but it comes up on the print out but this is only after the computer on the Dyno has done the Calculation.

Colin
NZ
(15-08-2021, 03:20 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I have been eying up a Kuboto 1500 four cylinder diesel from a generator set in a corner of work.
Its a bit on the large side so a three pot might be better. It would have to pass modern emmisions and be MOT tested though.

I can see that the different engine would mean the car needed an mot, but would that include modern emissions testing standards. I would expect the test to require the relevant standard for that age of car.