The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres rubbing on arches
Hi all
Iam ready to take my Ruby for a run but notice both front tyres rubbing on the whell arches when trying to get full lock, see photos, tyres are 17inch and there doesn't seem to be much available clearance if I could gain it before the tyres would come into contact with the steering arms anyway,about 1inch
Is this normal?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This is most likely due to a worn (sagging) front spring.
As Ruairidh says. Also, some of the 450 x 17 tyres have much wider tread and larger rolling diameter than the original fitment 4.00 x 17 tyres. Some of the larger 4.50 tyres can cause issues on full lock even with an OK front spring. The 4.00/4.25 tyres available now might solve your issue and should lighten the steering somewhat.
Or have the lock stops been tampered with?
I agree with Ruairidh, looking at the stance of your Ruby in your original post it is VERY low...
Thanks guys
I was thinking along the same lines ie suspension 
Is the cure a new spring if available or is there some adjustment 
Sound expensive and a lot of work 
Thanks
Mike
New road springs are available from Vintage Austin Services, you can email Ian on: iandunford@blueyonder.co.uk

for pricing and availability.
I took the grinder to reduce the steering stops on the Ruby, in an attempt to improve the turning circle and elbow other competitors from the winner’s position on auto tests. Even with this the tyres are nowhere near rubbing inside the wheel arches. This does indeed suggest that some suspension challenges are involved, if tyres of the correct size are fitted. I use Longstones, much preferable to certain cheap and not so cheerful tyres.
And Mike if it is a sagging spring then a new one isn't that hard to fit. Rears can be more difficult to get out, but front is just a few bolts (assuming not much more tricky than it was on my RP, accepting there is more bodywork around) and a new spring really improves road manners.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks all

Now I am the spring hunt, but I will run her for now until layup, where I need to replace king pin bushes and the front spring however I Need to have some fun first

I have been out in her once so far to get to know the car and its quirks, what gears to use in what circumstances etc and how to change up and down without crunching them, The last vintage car I had was a rover 10 1939 which had a knob on the dash you turned into free wheel mode so you could change gear without using the clutch, with the seven it is much more of task, my rover was slow up hills but the seven is even slower !

But I am smiling and so is everybody else and that is what vintage motoring is about Smile

Mike