The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touch-Up Paint - Any Suggestions?
Probably 30-years ago I painted my Ulsteroid with cellulose using a readily available VW colour to paint code LP 3A Red.

I could do with touching up a few small chips and scratches but haven’t been able to find anyone able to supply the correct colour.

There are a couple of companies who advertise on the net but when I contacted one of these were very vague and wanted my registration and make so they could check. I did explain this wouldn’t help them but then they seemed to run out of ideas.

There was also a listing one-bay but the supplier was in Poland and carriage for a 10 ml touch-up pen was £97.56!

Any suggestions?
John.
Try ‘Ken and Lyn’ paints, Buxton.
There are accesory shops who will mix small amounts to manufacturers references. I don't know where you are but Wilco in East Anglia will do this, or used to.
VW Paint Codes - Car Touch Up Paint - Car Paint
These people should be able to assist.
If you're still stuck, Autopaints of Brighton might be worth a call.
John, the red pigment is notorious for suffering due to weathering/age and it is unlikely that the original mix will now match your car.

I don’t know where in the world you are, but a local pro paint distributor will be able to match your colour or even provide a matching variant of the original VW colour. Many will make up an aerosol so you can successfully blend the colour @nd achieve an invisible repair.
I think Craftmaster paints can colour match from a representative panel and may be able to supply you with cellulose. 
Colour matching is an imprecise art at the best of times, on old faded paint you may have to settle for a close approximation.
Halfords do a colour mixing service. They got the cream for my daughter's Mini spot on. It was a reasonable price for a decent sized bottle of brush-on paint. Whether it is compatible with cellulose is a different matter.

Jamie.
Most car bodywork/paint suppliers can supply acrylic paint in 500ml spray cans, mixed to any colour you require. I couldn't remember what was the colour I painted my RP in but the guy at the paint shop had a hand held device that scanned the paint and analysed the mix. The match is perfect. I wouldn't trust Halfrauds. Go to a professional that knows what they are doing.