The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper motor on 12 v?
I want to run a 6 v Lucas DW3 wiper motor on a 12v negative earth car. Can anybody advise what type of stepdown gizmo I need to achieve this?
There are many compact "made-in-China-buy-at-your-own-risk" units on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333863355574?...SwaIRZss1X
I have a 6-volt to 12-volt unit to run the indiactors. I keep a spare in the glove box.....
That one states 3 Amps at 6 volts. Do you know how many Amps a DW3 is rated at anybody?
I would look out for a 12volt motor,then sell the 6volt unit. There are more 12v units about than 6v ones. These cheap units from China can be of poor quality.
My 6 volt wiper motor runs fine on 12 volt, but it does get a bit hot. I have purchased, but not yet fitted, a resistor to go in series with the wiper motor, 25 watt 2.2 ohms.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122180980450
My 6v "pull and spin" motor has run on 12v since 2003 without any problem. But it doesn't always rain when I go out in the car.
David, on 12 volts, does it wack around faster than on 6? I connected ours to the fuse box and it worked OK, but direct to the battery and it was a good deal better So, that's where it is, on its own fused circuit. Another member of the Sheffield group has his arranged in the same way.
Hi Tony, I haven't tried the Ruby type motor on 12v but suspect it would not be as robust as the "pull and spin" type. Perhaps it would be better with a resistor in the circuit. Someone on here will be able to give a resistor value.
Cheers,
Dave.
For a heavy current device resistors are not ideal. To lose 6v at 3 amps is 18 watts; equivant one original headlamp!
I trust everyone  at least owns one of the very cheapest analogue meters suitable for old car use (esp if  not adjusting any voltage regulators) To lose 6v at 3 amps is just 2 ohms, but the loss peaks with current so tends to drop volts at the part of the sweep where most needed, accentuating the speed variation. 18w or even 10 gets hot..
(05-08-2021, 08:30 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Hi Tony, I haven't tried the Ruby type motor on 12v but suspect it would not be as robust as the "pull and spin" type. Perhaps it would be better with a resistor in the circuit. Someone on here will be able to give a resistor value.
Cheers,
Dave.
Our Ruby has a pull and spin type - it was on the car in 1970 -  and I believe it to be original; am I correct? BTW, the later wiper that's fittedon the '29 Chummy works very well indeed.