The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Death of special building in NZ
I don't know what happens to a special if the rego lapses? That's a good question. I do know if you have a car in the system as a special then you can do anything. Who would know if you totally rebuilt the body? Or redid the chassis. Or did anything really. Once it's in there it's there. In fact I know someone doing just that, they have a special with the rego on hold so they are rebuilding it but when the time comes they just need a WOF and it's legal again. The WOF people have no clue what's changed so they are fine. I don't think special has any particular meaning. I suspect people just put that when it's a non production body.

I think if it was a standard car registration on hold then you try to re-register it with a new body you'd then have to get the new body certified and that puts you in exactly the situation I am in now. It's not a production body so they treat it as a new build. I think even the most clueless WOF inspector can see it's not a factory body so they'll just fall back on saying it needs low volume certing.

I thought the paperwork from the VCC would help but as far as I can tell there is no legal weight behind that? The inspection people have no clue about the VCC documents. When I talked to them they said I needed the CA03 document to say there were no papers. I think the VCC documents are meant to be used to help get the CA03 form application though. When I asked the VCC about that they looked at my existing documents and decided to change them. So now I guess one of the little boxes saying needs low volume certification or modifications that affect a safety standard is ticked.

So now to get the CA03 which the inspection place needs I have to apply to NZTA with the updated VCC documents which will say I need a low volume certifier. And if the low volume certifier decides they don't like something on the car I have to fix it or you go no where. And it's up to them to interpret the rules how they like.

I thought being a VCC member and trying to do things properly would help but apparently not. My understanding of this might all be wrong but that's the f-ing problem (sorry for the language but it's VERY frustrating). No one can clearly or logically explain the rules! No one knows them or they aren't defined or it's left up to individuals to decide and since they end up being liable they decide no unless you do everything they think they need to to cover their arses.

Like I say maybe if I find the right certifier it will work out OK. But you have no way of knowing till you try and really you only get one go.

Simon

Messages In This Thread
Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 03-08-2021, 01:36 AM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by 39Jet - 03-08-2021, 05:46 AM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 03-08-2021, 08:50 AM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 03-08-2021, 07:12 PM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 03-08-2021, 11:23 PM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 04-08-2021, 02:49 AM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by Bryan - 04-08-2021, 05:48 AM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 04-08-2021, 10:45 PM
RE: Death of special building in NZ - by jansens - 06-08-2021, 02:00 AM