The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New purchase 1932 Austin 7
Hello from the Western Atlantic Colonies. NEW TO ME TODAY a 1932 Austin 7 what we would refer to in the USA as a 2 door sedan and I think you call a saloon. It was an estate sale and the seller does not know which model. I may need help in adding photos. I'll try. Comments are encouraged as what is correct and what is not. I would rather know whats wrong so the items can be corrected.  Regards:  Arnie
Doesn't look like a 32 car to me unless it's a very late one. Dashboard and wide doors suggests an RP Saloon. Easy way to find out is to find the chassis number (on the left hand chassis leg just rearward of the rear engine mounting) and the Body number which will be stamped into the transmission tunnel at the gearbox end.

Rear tank?

Four speed Gearbox?

Sunroof or not?
I've been caught out before - RP was launched in October 1932. And as far as I can see that's what she is - looking forward to seeing some more pics.
Agreed; 1933-style dashboard and four-speed gearbox so an early RP. The only thing 'wrong' that I can see at first glance is the lack of pockets in the re-trimmed door cards.
Late '32 (September onwards) is perfectly possible. It's almost certainly an early RP model, but could be a very late transitional RN. Either way, the doorcard detail is not correct. The more numbers that you can find, the better - see http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf for a guide on how to find them. More photos would be great.
Great start on identification for me.  I too noted the missing pockets in the door cards.  Everyone will be getting a laugh at the Model A ford taillight when The rear photo gets added. Car came out of an estate so the seller does not have a lot of background. He does think the transmission is a 4 speed. I will try to get more photos on later today. The excitement is building.
After much debate about my RN registered in October 1932 in Kent UK, I finally found the model stamped on the transmission tunnel just behind the access to the front tailshft coupling. The car has the same dash as the photo but is definatley stamped RN. Like the RP there is no strapping at the rear each side of the rear window. But the trim on the scuttle matching the door line is truly RN. It has a rear fuel tank. This car is probably one of the last RNs to go down the line. How and when the car arrived in Australia is still a mystery but because the original registration plate was on the car prior to restoration here, it seems it was imported as a basket case or barn find.
Judging by the confusion as to what is right or wrong on these  RN/RP cars at change-over time, it's a surprise that some did not emerge fitted with both front and rear fuel tanks. Perhaps some did, in a union demarcation dispute among the front fitters, back fitters, and the body-stamping man - all at loggerheads over who should do what, how, and when.
A couple of more photos
That looks about right - RP tail end.
And a solid mounted engine, presumably with fuel pump on the nearside (rubber mounts came in Aug '33 I believe).

As for the gubbins on the scuttle - the electrical thing clearly does not belong; the battery would have been under the driver's seat originally, but I gather they often migrated to the scuttle as the battery box rotted out (anyway advantageous if only for shorter battery leads). The vacuum connection puzzles me slightly - perhaps others can expand?

Still trying to figure out what the two white knobs mid-dash are for.

I don't mind the rear light but I'd suggest two of them would be better!