The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Sports Fan Pulley and Shaft
I need some help. I seem to have opened a can of worms in trying to sort the fan on my Speedy!

After 20 years driving my Speedy, I suddenly realised that I was using a wide fan belt with a wide camshaft pulley but standard fan pulley, causing wear on the sides of the belt. I wanted to fit a four blade fan to help with overheating, so I thought I would sort the upper fan pulley at the same time. Big mistake.

I duly received a sports fan pulley from one of our cherished suppliers and on examination realised it requires a longer fan spindle. Is this correct?  The Austin spare parts list shows a different pulley BD222 against a BD220) but the same spindle (BD221). The Sports parts list also shows the BD222 but nothing else special.

Having looked at earlier parts lists. am I correct in deducing that the wide fan pulleys supplied by our cheished suppliers are not in fact BD222 types but an earlier sports version, perhaps BD196? If so, where can I get a late wide fan pulley?
Hi martin,

You have been sent the wrong item.

I made pulleys for many years from solid billet. And supplied other suppliers.

I made the sports pulleys for ulster reps. So they were the longer earlier types.

Since then, others have stopped buying from me, and copied my work. So they copied the same early type pulley. 

They havent made the shorter pulley for engines with 4 speed gearboxes. Because they didnt have anything to copy Big Grin

Tony
I believe an export fan pulley will work for you Martin, they were used on all late export cars fitted with four blade fans. I have a number of them and would be happy to give you one if it helps you....however one small problem in the short term. I have moved from Auckland to Wellington, I am still building my new workshop here and everything is still in storage up in Auckland so I don't have access until I ship it all down. So the up shop of the is if you can wait I can help, if it is urgent perhaps one of my fellow antipodeans can assist.
Black Art Enthusiast
Martin I have to admit that I don’t really understand the problem, but it is quite possible to fit a four speed fan to a two speed assembly. See picture attached. Unless of course I have fitted the same pulley as you describe.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Tony
Thanks for your comments. I've sent you a PM. Hope you can help.

Martin
hi martin,

somewere i have a couple of good originals.

but ive been moving stuff round all morning, to put some more parts on ebay. ive not found them yet, ill let you know if i do.

i have no plans to make anymore pulleys, i still have a pile of them from the last batch that are not asked for or needed.
Tony
Brilliant! No hurry.
All the best
Martin
Martin - I have a pulley if you want it.