The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Most Unassuming of Jobs - but a Stitch in Time Saves Ninety-Nine?
Just been out examining the front wings - underneath, right at the back, where they bolt to the running board steels.  Cleaned away the mud and found rust just starting.  Wire brushed it ready for Jenolite rust remover, primer and black.  Quick and easy.  Should nip the corrosion in the bud. The wing was repaired with metal being newly welded in 20 years ago - and was well protected at the time - but this is a prime spot to go again?
Wouldn't dare go near my car with rust remover.
After about 2 years of wire brushing, rust was finally banished from my Ruby - being rescued after 22 years in a garden it was becoming nothing more than a pile of rust so something had to be done - 'oily rag' was not an option - now I am trying to stop rust quietly returning, especially in the metal that was welded in, which is not as good as the original.
(27-07-2021, 07:04 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Wouldn't dare go near my car with rust remover.

Me neither.... there would be nothing left to hold the fibreglass body filler in place.
Remembering back to a comment I heard fifty years ago - It's all right, its got a chassis...
(27-07-2021, 10:46 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Remembering back to a comment I heard fifty years ago - It's all right, its got a chassis...

The first time my ORT was MOTd the tester jacked it up under the chassis as he had my Ruby... the chassis flexed and both doors flew open... he apologised for that and moved the jacks... I was certain it was going to fail. I keep meaning to fit a pair of those little brass catches that hold the car together in the middle.
A "rust free" car must be up there with the unicorns and fairies. The tin-worm never sleeps...
Hi All

Give the poor Seven a break…..It was only designed to last 5 or so years  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
"You buy a car, but you invest in an Austin!"
Colin

yup,

I've a car here restored circa 1978, in truth the connection between the wings and running boards is probably knackered. But the car is delightfully tatty so I'm not touching it yet.

A car restored in 1991 where the wings etc were religiously stuck together with tubes and tubes of tiger seal (by father), that is still very good.

A car restored in 2000, which I had someone paint for me. It seemingly has a bead of goo top and bottom on the joints and I will probably have to wire brush and de rust the lower surfaces for the 4th or 5th time soon. However I do occasionally use this car in winter. Which doesn't help.