The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas lever
Can anyone send me a photo of the gas lever under the bonnet That operates "cruse control" Austin 7 which is not on the vehicle so I can make a couple, Please
Thank you for your help.
Gordon,

For a 1928 model car your Club spares should have this lever.

Being an ex SEC car I expect you are in Melbourne. 

In the current Melbourne Club Spares Parts book this is listed as 'Lever Gas Bottom Control' part number 1548, 1923/1932 

Shown in the Austin 7 Spares handbooks up to 1934 as BM 59 'Carburetter control lever'

Se pages 47/48 in:

PL_353P.pdf (a7ca.org)

Tony.
Hi Tony thanks for the link to Manual, the lever you pointed out must strike onto something so as to only operate the carburettor when required. Hard to explain but if that lever is tightened onto the shaft it operates at the same time as the foot accelerator. I am missing something here. 
We are all locked down. I would rather make the part than try to purchase.
Thank you for your help.
Hi Gordon,

If you refer to page 24 in the manual, the Control Lever BM 59 is linked by link BF13 to Carburetter Control lever BF12 which is loose on the spindle BF30 alongside the Pedal BF1. 

If you look closely threre is a step on both which allows the Pedal to move independantly of the lever BF12.

For ordering parts don't forget the Spares Mail Order system is still working and well used in lockdown.

As you can see the lever BM9 has a clamp end similar to the short Ignition lever BM57 .  

Tony.
This one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114903393829?...SwqXtg-rBG
Hi Gordon

I made one up for my Special. Fortunately I had one on my RK that I could use as a pattern. The lever is a sliding (even rotating) fit on the shaft with a partial quadrant that interacts with the boss on the accelerator.  Both accelerator and gas lever move together initially then the pedal moves independently. So so hard to describe!  Easy when you see it in the flesh. Made up ones show the braze  Smile .

Cheers 

Howard

Hi Gordon

I made one up for my Special. Fortunately I had one on my RK that I could use as a pattern. The lever is a sliding (even rotating) fit on the shaft with a partial quadrant that interacts with a fixed boss on the shaft.  Both accelerator and gas lever move together initially then the pedal moves independently. So so hard to describe!  Easy when you see it in the flesh. Made up ones show the braze  Smile .

Cheers 

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   91112388-933D-45FB-BA84-9C57EDE669CB.jpeg (Size: 168.68 KB / Downloads: 242)
.jpeg   3D6335BA-502E-4792-83A1-51E9B9399EF2.jpeg (Size: 159.42 KB / Downloads: 242)
Thanks Howard,
With the help of Tony Press we worked out what had to happen, and I got the link to a great parts list.
Your photos now make it easy to replicate. I made a shaft that with no cutout as the only photos I had were not clear. The quadrant cutout looks more than 50%, is that wear or as manufactured?
Note; nice braising matey.
Thank you for your help.
Hi Gordon

Thanks for the compliment on my brazing. Good job the photo flatters  Smile.  I don’t think there was much wear on the original and the open section is about 20 or so degrees more than 180.

Strangely enough I now don’t use the gas lever to start the car as the SU carb fitted has a choke mechanism that opens the throttle butterfly automatically.  Still nice to have the ability to hand throttle at times. 

Cheers 

Howard
Hey again Howard,
Ref; Part BN Clutch pedal spring.
Can you describe where this spring is positioned? My clutch lever has a lot of free play, flopping about is a good description, cannot locate this spring. The clutch engages and disengages but the pedal sits low to the floor. This clutch operation has not been tested on the ground so far.
We ran the motor 2 days ago, good oil pressure etc after getting the timing close enough to start. Reassembly has commenced and hope to get it off the blocks soon.

Did not expect a quick reply, we are in total lockdown here, sun is out and a good day ahead. To describe where we live I would say 100 klms from the Opera House New South Wales heheh.
Thank you for your help.
Hi Gordon

The clutch pedal spring BN39 goes on the outside of the bell housing.  It slides over the clutch pedal spindle and one end sits in a small hole in the bell housing the other around the clutch pedal. It is tensioned such that the clutch pedal is drawn back (and the release bearing is pulled back from the levers). It is a bit of a pain to fit, especially if your doing the job with the engine and box in the car. 

If your clutch travel is too close to the floor it indicates a worn clutch. This could either be the linings or the levers or the release bearing housing. Unfortunately all of those are gearbox out jobs.

I made a visit to Sydney many years back and really loved the place. It was at Christmas time and I enjoyed the heat, given I travelled back to a freezing cold Britain!

Cheers

Howard